PDA

View Full Version : Barcelona (warning: loooong post)

Coldcat
10-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Ola! Que tal? I'm back in the wired world!

No, I didn't learn any spanish. Actually, the trying to speak spanish was the most frustrating bit, as I kept speaking italian. Then I'd think to myself; no, no, no, that other roman language, think hard, and more italian would come bubbling up in my head!
Worst thing is, the spanish seem (or so I was told) and especially the catalunyans, to hold a grudge against anyone who doesn't speak their language, which kinda pissed me off. (Italians have that streak too, btw) Look, buster, I speak three more languages besides my own, if thats not good enough for you, too bad!

Catalá was actually less hard, as that felt like untidy french spoken with a spanish flair. But then Catalunyans have this irritable streak to not greet you even when you've greeted them, I got into a discussion over this with a fellow student, a Catalan, of my youngest brother - who is currently studying in Barcelona - about the catalunyan pride, at the end of which I snapped: well, I still dont see why it is beneath you to greet me, after all, we dutch folk did kick the spanish out!

Needless to say, he was not amused...hehe..

What to say about Barcelona? It is the capital of kitch, no competition there. The capital of jugendstil and sillyness. I have never seen as much decorated balconies, lamp posts, window sills, doors, and general funny details, as in Barcelona. It is a city in which you'll be constantly gazing upward at towers, windows, statues, gargouilles of the wierdest kind, and dragons everywhere (St george, known there as Jordi, is patron saint of Barcelona, after all)

It is also the capital of grafitti. The city is littered with pieces, big graffitti works all over, complemented with spray on logo's. Kill Bush, Stop the war, No justice in Madrid, Barceloca. Unfortunately, there is even more stupid tagging going on, even on the walls of 1000 year old churches, and I didn't like that. If you spray, spray something good or don't spray at all. And have some respect for the wall you spray on. Religious houses of any era are a nono as far as I am concerned. But Barcelona is littered with too much young folk who do nothing but party, and f*, and tag, and think that disrespect is a cool thing.

And pee the streets.I smelled pee all day long in the old city. Sometimes in sickening quantities. That shows quite some severe disrespect. Dogs can be toilet trained, but men...

Barcelona is also the capital of young, left, antiglobal, weed smoking, sporting designer sneakers, artistically inclined folk. There were whole flocks of them.
Most notably in the barri Gracia, which turned out to be the most relaxed and tourist free part of Barcelona. I loved Gracia.

(To be continued)

Tantrum
10-01-2004, 12:46 PM
That was one thing that realy surprised me during my trip to Italy. There was graffiti EVERYWHERE. It was really bad in Florence and Rome. But I have to give the taggers credit in that I saw no graffiti on churches, anciet ruins, etc. Didn't smell any urine but the mid-afternoon BO was overpowing at times, especially on the Rome metro after the siesta.:eek:

verushca
10-01-2004, 12:51 PM
ARRIBA " LDU " :D :D :D :D

Alexa check out my Quito hotels (http://hostels.in-quito.com/) , website

Coldcat
10-01-2004, 01:45 PM
I also loved seeing the Museum for modern art and the Miro and Tapies foundations. They had good collections. The whole area of Montjuic, a mountain standing at the sea overlooking Barcelona, was cool. Amazing gardens. And not riddled with tourists, as the Gaudi sites are. Man, Barcelona is swamped in tourists, at least in September. We missed half of the merce(local big party with dancing giant dolls and crazy people climbing each other) because the small streets in the old town are actually worse then the canals in Amsterdam on queens day. And thats saying something!
While trying to outrun the crowds, we ran into no less then three processions. The last one, someona pressed a little coin with Maria on it in my hand. "But I am a heretic" I said (in Italian) "But also for you there is absolution" he countered.

Can't argue with that one. (And dont want to, either.. I'll need the absolution :D )

It was also very funny to see an old man shuffle out of his door, watch the street flow by, then suddenly see him bleach, and cross himself twice before he scurried back in his house. We turned to see what had upset him: a couple of big and burly dykes with tattoos and shaven heads holding hands. Poor man. His whole world turned upside down! (Literally, I fear.)

If you want to see what Barcelona looks like through the eyes of someone who knows how to handle a camera: right here (http://www.photo.net/spain/barcelona)

These pics are some postcards I scanned. (I took pics with a cheap throwaway cam and havent processed them yet)

CanariaChick
10-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Catalans are the French Spaniards! :cool: On their defense I must say that I have encountered the language annoyances in the most unsuspecting places as well, it very much depends on the individual(s) you are dealing with. It particularly shocked me once while I was working for a hotel in the Canary islands, after I had explained a recently arrived group about the week's events, schedules and whatnot, in 5 languages (English, Spanish, German, French and Italian), a Swede made a complaint that I had not said it in Swedish... :eek: WTF? Ironically, he made the complaint in English, so obviously, he had understood what I had said, it was just a way of demanding acknowledgement... people, so insecure some times.

I love well done graffitti art, however, crappy tagging for the sake of tagging doesn't do it for me. Is that kinda what you were saying? Because in Barcelona I saw some mindblowing pieces, but as you said, there was also plenty of talent-imparied ego-taggers.

And I am glad to hear you had the chance to hang out in Gracia, I love it there! BTW, have you heard the news? Spain is legalizing gay marriage with adoption rights! If you come visit next summer, it will almost feel like you never left the Netherlands. :D

Oh, oh, and where, oh where are the pictures? Even if it's posing with a gargoyle! ;)