PDA

View Full Version : Back in town...

NoKnees
07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Been out for a few days... Got hitched on July 9th, left for Jamaica on the 10th, got back last night, back to work today...

I'll throw some photo's up if any come out.. My cuz dropped my good 35mm camera the day before we left, so I don't know if it's actually working 100% until I get the film developed. Good times...

Homebase: Sandal's Montego Bay, Jamaica

Roadtrips:

Ocho Rios/Dunns River - touristy trip up the falls, shoping, visited other Sanda's resort
Great River - mellow tubing/float trip through the "interior". Rope swing fun, etc...
Horseback Riding: Cruise around old plantation area, ride the horses out into the ocean for a swim... Interesting experience... Fun riding backback while the horse is trying to swim...

Highlights:

Living through a few roadtrips on the roads with Jamaican drivers. They are a left-side of the road country, but you wouldn't know it by the way they drive. It seems that at any time, on any road, it becomes a two lane one way road. And if you are going the wrong way, you need to get off the road, or else... Head on collisions are the norm.. Good times...

Decent food, good booze. Lots of it... Brought back 6 bottles of local booze... The Appleton Estate rum is a good bang for the buck... Grabbed a bottle of nice overproof stuff as well for mixers... Think 151 with good flavor... Scary...

Nice water.... Warmer than Hawaii, clear, and calm... Surrounded by reaf so no surf, just mellow calm beaches...

Snorkling was just ok... Not enough big fishies around where we went.. I'm sure there a better though..

Good music... Calypso and Reggae 'til ya drop... Drunkin dancin is good rehab for a blown achilles... at least I think it was.. :)

Sweet tropical lightning shows almost every night, with almost no rain...

Cool folks.. Met some nice folks working in the tourist industry down there...

Bummers:

Forgot my vid camera.. Spaced out, would have had some sweet lightning footage... Oh well..

It's over... Had to come home and go back to work.. Biggest drag...

Oh, and the difference between the classes. Lot of unemployed, or underemployed. Very much 3rd world in much of the country. Not a whole lot happening outside of the tourist industry down there. They are working on it, but it's not easy...

Anyway, next time I get down there would like to spend more time out and about taking in the country and people more. This was just a nice mindless honeymoon vacation, so we kept it pretty simple...

Tantrum
07-22-2004, 11:07 AM
It does suck to come back from a nice vaction only to go to work.:mad:

Mrs. T and I spent our honeymoon at Sandal on St. Lucia and we had a good time. The couples only part was great, IMHO.

Now that you mention it, there was a dearth of posts the 10 days you were gone.:p

elex
07-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Welcome back! So did she say yes?

TBone
07-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Trip report sounds fun! How'd the achilles work out on your little trip? Too much alcohol to tell? ;)

Glad you guys had a great honeymoon.

Pic's nice!

T

NoKnees
07-25-2004, 08:30 PM
First, E, yes, she did say "I do." So now I guess she's stuck with me officially... (Assuming the license was sent in)

From what I can tell the achilles held up okay... I did get a little carried away at times with it, and I will blame the alcohol for that...

At one point they were doing a beach olympics.. The final event was a 40ish yard dash on pretty hard packed sand. I won the first 30 yards and lost out to a leggy 8 year younger guy who was in much better shape than me. I was missing that top gear and he passed me at the end... Had to settle for the silver medal.. Oh well...

I hurt that night and the next day but it was my groin/thigh area as I haven't tried to run top speed for more than 10 yards in about 5 years... Then again I was on my honeymoon, so that might not have had anything to do with the sprint... Hmmm..

Anyway, it was definitely a good time... I'll throw up some pictures in the next day or so when I get around to it. Didn't take many this time around...

LazyL
07-26-2004, 12:19 PM
Look at how lovely your wife is. Her gown is perfect! Not all frou-frou and princessy -- nice lines. Much nicer than the one the minister is wearing, that's for sure. ;)

P.S. Your wife scored, too. :)

twinkie
07-26-2004, 08:18 PM
it looks and sounds wonderful. you confirm my hunch that a so-called "destination wedding" is the way to go. glad you and the bee-yoo-tee-ful bride had a great trip and made it back safe and sound!

NoKnees
07-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Thanks....

And actually to clarify, we didn't do a "destination" wedding ourselves, but saw plenty in Jamaica. I think it was about 4-5 a day on average at the Sandals resort we were at...

Our wedding was done locally here at a county park, with a bbq reception immediately following in the same location.. Outside, trees, semi casual, good times.. Drank a keg of microbrew (tripple rock bre co) and a few cases of some cheap ausie wine (yellow tail, chard, merlot, shiraz). 130 or so friends and family... And that was the short list..

Anyway, if you can get away with a destination wedding, go for it... Save some headaches and $$$. It's your day, do what you want... Not what others "expect" of you.