PDA

View Full Version : Reverend and NoKnees!! Dining Table Pics!!

DrBunda
07-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Just got back into town and saw the post below.

So cool that you guys wanna check it out!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully this link to Ofoto will work. If not let me know and I can post the actual pics from my home computer sometime this weekend.

<a href="http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=588208185103&page=1&sort_order=0">Photos to Dining Table and Buffet Table</a>

No woodworking mags. I did some research online and I've watched multiple designer and fix-it and build-it shows on TV. In fact, this one piece of wood trim that I wanted from Home Depot.......well, it turns out nobody knew what the hell I was talking about. Had to ask four different people and finally the store manager who finally showed me where to find this stuff. Everyone was so interested in my product - they didnt know it existed!! I, of course, only knew because of the show Surprise By Design. They use it on there all the time.

Anyways.......let me know what you think!! T's Dad was super impressed and the sturdiness of it and how I put it all together underneath and how professional it was :D

LazyL
07-09-2004, 02:51 PM
Handsome *and* sturdy! Great things in a man, and a table. :D

Love the clean, simple lines. It's surprisingly hard to find pieces like that in stores.

You've given me an idea for tables in my place. I need something that can do dual duty; I'm thinking maybe two of the side tables, that can be pushed together on occasion to seat, what, four people? Or can you fit a chair in the space on the narrow side of the side table, to seat six? One side table could be a breakfast bar, the other could be a work area, when not in use as a bigger table (no room to keep a big table up 24/7).

Anyway, great work. And you know the rule: any money you save by doing-it-yourself, you get to spend on something else. ;)

DrBunda
07-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks LL!!

Yes, you can probly sit 6 with two of the side tables put together. Only thing would be the table legs sorta in the way which happens when i pull them together too - but its usually not too bad.

Glad I could give you the idea -- everyone thinks that's one of the best parts of the tables i built :-D.

Now.........what to spend the money I saved on............Hmmmmmmm.......MORE HOUSE STUFF! ;)

Reverend SC
07-12-2004, 09:34 AM
Wow, you saved money by building it yourself? Projects usually cost me a new tool or accessory, lol.

So I saw the mitre box, so I assume there's a backsaw somewhere. I saw a hammer. I didn't see any power tools. Did you have the Home Depot people pre-cut some pieces? I couldn't imagine doing a project like this without at least my table saw and chop saw.

Of course, this could be my compulsive "throw money at every problem" mentality. Don't ever let my wife see this, I still need a bench sander and a jointer....

...and a dovetail jig...

...and a better router table.....

Great work!

elex
07-12-2004, 11:30 AM
The tables look great.You went to Home Depot & they didn't know what you were talking about?I run into that all the time.Part of the fun of building something is buying the tools. Again,nice job!
tablE

LazyL
07-12-2004, 05:29 PM
The tables look great.You went to Home Depot & they didn't know what you were talking about?I run into that all the time.Part of the fun of building something is buying the tools. Again,nice job!
tablE

Living in Earthquake Country, there is something very unsettling about wandering in those deep canyons of heavy stuff. Plus, I usually go late at night (ours is open 24 hours) when the mini-forklifts are terrorizing the place. Beeep, beep, beep. Saving grace is that the workers are notorious flirts..."mmm, mmm, MMM!" says one of 'em.

Actually, I usually shop the tiny mom-and-pop hardware stores, since my home improvement projects are small-scale.

LazyL
07-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Would you mind sending me your mailing address via the Private Message function on this site (or, to my sippin_cristal_mmm at ya ho o etc)? Got something to pop in the U.S. mail for ya... :cool: ...my red patent-leather hipwaders, with Brazilian thong cut, are gathering dust in my closet. Figured you or T might have a use for 'em. :eek: :D

DrBunda
07-13-2004, 09:50 AM
sent via private message here - let me know if you dont get it. i could really use those leather hipwaders when i go fly fishing with T. Brazilian thong hipwaders are the best, arent they?

LOL!!

DrBunda
07-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Only new tool I bought was a dremmel tool ($50 or so). I didnt estimate that into the total amount since I'm going to use it for grouting projects in the bathroom also (removing old grout).

No power tools were used - cept for a power drill for the nails. Crazy, I know. And I have friends who have a Table Saw and Mitre Saws etc. - dont know what I was thinking. Spent 6+ hours just cutting up pieces of wood. once again -- I'm insane.

I DID have the Home Depot people cut the huge piece of wood for the table top, but that's about it. I DO want to eventually have all those tools - just a bit pricey for right now :( .

DrBunda
07-13-2004, 10:08 AM
Thanks!!

Reverend SC
07-13-2004, 10:55 AM
Only new tool I bought was a dremmel tool ($50 or so). I didnt estimate that into the total amount since I'm going to use it for grouting projects in the bathroom also (removing old grout).

No power tools were used - cept for a power drill for the nails. Crazy, I know. And I have friends who have a Table Saw and Mitre Saws etc. - dont know what I was thinking. Spent 6+ hours just cutting up pieces of wood. once again -- I'm insane.

I DID have the Home Depot people cut the huge piece of wood for the table top, but that's about it. I DO want to eventually have all those tools - just a bit pricey for right now :( .

When it comes time, don't skimp on the $$$. A $100-200 table saw is basically useless. I discovered very quickly after I upgraded that my second table should have been my first table saw.

Same with routers (best tool in the shop, IMO) and mitre saws/chop saws. If you can swing it, get a sliding one. Many models come with lasers now, some with dual lasers, to show you exactly where the blade will drop.

DrBunda
07-14-2004, 12:10 PM
nice! (bout the laser thingie)

good advice in general. will keep that in mind.

canuck
07-14-2004, 01:27 PM
hey!!

small world or what!???! Those are the kind I like to wear

Coldcat
07-14-2004, 10:28 PM
I can just see you now in my mind...althougether a bit too vividly..........
This is dangerous so early in the morning!!!

DrBunda
07-15-2004, 06:34 AM
can we see a pic??? I can't imagine anything hotter than a Canuck with patent leather thong waders providing for his family........

NoKnees
07-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Laggin on the reply, but hey, I had a good excuse...

Tables look sweet. Nice work. Something nice about a job well done by hand.

As for lack of power tools, cool... Nice to be able to do it without the fancy toys. But once you have the toys, nothing else seems to ever do. My dad has a three car garage that we still haven't finished. No room for cars, all woodworking toys and supplies...