PDA

View Full Version : Yo, Canuck!

TBone
06-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Any books, vids, links, or magical advice you can give me on learning how to cast a fly rod?

T

NoKnees
06-30-2004, 08:32 AM
First, worry about casting the line, not the rod. I'm thinking a fly on the line would catch more fish than you might knock out by casting the rod into the water... But hey, that's me... ;)

I actually have a great book at home that I could recomend if I only could remember the name... Oh well..

canuck
06-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Take it out to the park (minus fly -you can tie a piece of wook on there if you like) and practise...seriously...it's all in the arm motion, don't bring the rod too far back on the backcast (10 to 2 positions sounds familiar)..watch the end of your line and when it is layed out nearly flat on the way back start to bring it forward, and repeat...

there are a ton of books and vids, but you reallly don't need them

canuck
06-30-2004, 10:11 AM
have you bought the gear already?

TBone
06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
I thought the whole purpose of fly fishing was to spear the fish w/ your rod once they came up to get the fly. ;)

If you could remember to post the name of the book, I'd be much in your debt. I'll buy you a beer or two once we finally meet! :)

T

TBone
06-30-2004, 11:48 AM
Fortunately, we have a huge back yard. My back's a bit sore after yesterday's practice session, but I think I'm getting the hang of it a bit more. I've got a pretty light book that explains the essence of a few of the casts.

Definitely seems to be in the arm motion, and the acceleration/deceleration of the arm motion. Can't wait to try it out for real.

And yep, I've got as much gear as I need now, minus waders. Bought a semi-cheap combo by Courtland. 9 ft. 5 lb. graphite rod w/ semi-big reel. Geared it up (took like 4 hours to continually de-knot the line) Picked up a few flies, surplus leader and tippet, some float stuff and sinking stuff to apply to the leader/fly, fly box, vest, and hook remover. I figure if I get hooked, I'll pick up a better rod and/or reel, but for now this should do the trick.

T

canuck
07-02-2004, 11:47 AM
don't worry about making long casts, if you're fishing rivers the longest you'll likely need to cast is 20 ft or so....getting the fly to land softly and "mending" your line to avoid drag is more important...er..ya, maybe you need a book for that last part.

fryingpan river bound?

TBone
07-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Frying pan's a ways out. Thinking South Platte. The reservoir I fish has some decent trout in it as well. Found a really good spot last time I went, but didn't have the fly rod. Next time perhaps.

Think I've got the forward cast down, getting nice and soft. Backcast still gives me problems now and then with not a tight enough loop. My one book does explain mending and presentation in a bit of detail. Thinking I'll go out one of my first times w/ a guide to get a pro's info.

Thanks for the info dude. And you too NoKnees/Achilles.

T

NoKnees
07-02-2004, 06:25 PM
Finally logging on from home where I can remember to grab the book...

The Complete Book of Fly Fishing, second ed. by Tom McNally.. Yah, catchy title, but, well, you know... Seems pretty good to me as a reference.. Has just about anything you can want to know..

I second the idea of grabbing a guide for you first time out. The first time I tried was with a 3wt setup in a nice open meadow stream up in the Sierra on a backpack trip when I was 15 or so with a friends dad showing me the how-to. Did okay I think, caught a fish at least... Second time was about 4 years ago in New Zealand on vacation. Did an all day guided trip with my cousin and it was sweet. Used 5 or 6 wt gear I believe. Spent a lot of time on fundamentals before we even went near a river with fish. Hooked two after a lot of work, only landed the second one. Was around 19" or 20" and the guide said it was a disgrace to trout and I should throw it back quickly before someone saw me with it. I'm thinking, "damn, this is the biggest trout I've ever seen out of the water"... Ah well, kiwi's have some nice trout fishing..

Anyway, been out a few time since, but I'm no expert. I spend too much time casting and not enough fishing. I just love the getting a good rythem going, you know?

Um, anyways...

TBone
07-06-2004, 10:28 AM
Decided I'd give it a try last night in the local reservoir I fish.

Lost two flies in 4 casts and hit a bird on my backcast which took my line into a tree.

I decided at that point I need more practice casting and went to the non-fly rod. Caught a footlong rainbow and let him go. Heckuva fighter though!

T

NoKnees
07-06-2004, 11:57 AM
:) Sounds like a good time.. At least you'll have the knot tying nailed down pretty quick with all the new flys..

Your bird story reminds of a couple different fishing "incidents" that I've had on backpack trips in the past. The first was doing some twilight lake fishing up in the Sierra. There was no wind and I was casting a light-weight rooster tail along the lakeshore. Flip the thing out there and just before it hits the water a bat swooped down and grabbed it thinking it was a fly... Ooops.. Luckily he didn't hook up on it and just took it for a ride about 20 feet along the shoreline before it dropped back down to the water. The other "incident" was with a curious chipmunk and a wooden minow crank-bait.. He carried it a couple feet before realizing it wasn't what he had hoped for...

Cool on the rainbow. Rainbows can be a lot of fun... The stocker ones are okay, but when you catch a 100% wild one they can be a blast. Stream/river ones are the best, but still. Lotta play for a small fish. I'm always out there with a light rod/line setup so I can get the most enjoyment out of them smaller fish... Good times...

canuck
07-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Isn't the South Platte that river that runs right next to the big REI near dowtown?

Pretty adventurous of you bro!
:D

TBone
07-08-2004, 08:35 AM
But there's pretty good fishing in the South Platte Southwest of Denver. I'm not fishing downtown. ;)

T

Tantrum
07-08-2004, 09:26 AM
LoDo on a Saturday night.:D

jibnot
07-09-2004, 10:53 AM
I have found some good fishing over the weeks, do you still have a car or have you a truck now? Need a 4x4 for most access. Back to casting, I enjoy the small streams and brook trout. Its funny because with in the tighter waters I never really do the classic cast. Just kind of flip the fly upstream with the wrist and mostly let the current do the work. If you have camping gear and just the car I can recommend a good weekend spot with a bunch of options and free camping. Camped out for about a week in those parts but was sidetracked by snow, the fishing looked good though.