PDA

View Full Version : (OT): Bed me.

LazyL
06-15-2004, 10:52 AM
OK, I need to buy a bed, or reasonable facsimile. I've been a floor-sleeper for a few years now. I have a small place, so I don't want a big ol' honking four-poster or somesuch.

I found a super-stylie futon couch thing -- modern lines, folds into all sorts of configurations -- but it only comes in full size. Is that too small for two people? All my bedding (feather bed, etc.) is queen size.

I thought about getting tatami mats, Japanese style, but dang those things are pricey.

What do you sleep on? What size mattress?

OK, dumb post. But my gypsy heart is clueless about things like home furnishings, so help a tomboy out, here.

jibnot
06-15-2004, 11:43 AM
I think full size is okay for two, even a single will do depending who is on top. I’ve been sleeping on a cot with a thermorest on it in a van. To be honest after a couple of days on that thing a friends couch is like a king bed.

Maybe you should just get an air-o-bed and cover it in Crisco

NoKnees
06-15-2004, 11:44 AM
My lady and I enjoy a queen. Only drawback with that instead of a king is when it get's really toasty at night you can't spread out as much to cool off.

As for type, you sound like a futon would fit your style. We had to go with a good bed as my lady has a bad back and needs something "just right" or she wakes up in pain after a few hours. So, we have one of those sleep numbers beds and now she sleeps better than she has in years...

There, you got my 2cents worth..

canuck
06-15-2004, 01:33 PM
so who exactly is the 2nd person sharing your bed anyhow? huh huh?

I have a foam mattress on an Ikea queen bed that is just fine...foam is similar to futon only not so lumpy and not on the floor...capiche?

LazyL
06-15-2004, 10:14 PM
The input is much appreciated.

jibnot, I hear you, loud and clear you. Lived out of my '68 AMC Rambler American for several months at the tail-end of my undergrad days. By day, student; by night, crash-master in the fancy 'hoods surrounding UCLA. Nights at friends' places were a luxury. (Ten years later, my li'l apartment still feels like a palace.)

NoAchilles,YesMan: Ufftah. Sorry your lady has to deal with back pain. My bro and sis-in-law are chiropractors, and I think they have the same bed y'all do, so it sounds like you've made a spine-happy investment. And very good point about the warm-night squirmies. (Plus, I think a full bed is too short for me...?)

canuck: I think I may go with a modified version of your foam thing. I've slept very well in the (whatchamacallit, front area?) of boats, with foam mattresses. Maybe I should invent the Rock-a-Bye Baby adult bed? Love the ocean's motion at sleepy time.

Anyway, after I posted this, I had this dumb-ass inspiration to invent The Bed That Never Needs Making. Yeah, yeah, go ahead and laugh. (I did.) Sounds silly, I know, but they also laughed when my granddad invented the pineapple picker in Hawaii (still in use today).

And per your personal question: If I were "sleeping" with someone, doubt I'd need to get second-hand advice, no? For better or worse or neutral, I'm flying and snoozing solo these days, so the double-wide is more of a theoretical question.

Call me a cockeyed optimist, if you will. ;)