PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboarding and the 2004 Wiener Nationals

LazyL
05-21-2004, 01:05 PM
So, it looks like I'll be covering this year's Wienerschnitzel Wiener Nationals (http://www.losalamitos.com/laqhr/wienernationals/home.html). As part of my journalistic research, I'll be spending Memorial Day weekend on a fast boat in some river with the owner of one of the uber-hunds, Porsche, a finely-tuned dachshund racing machine who is anticipated to kick some low-slung dog ass in the event. Unless she gets confused, like last time, and jumps out the back of the starting gate.

Anyway. It looks like, as part of our behind-the-scenes up-close-and-personal coverage on the boat, I'll be expected to wakeboard. This sport apparently combines the best of two sports at which I terribly suck: surfing and snowboarding.

So. Um. Any suggestions?

And canuck, can you suggest suitable beverages for both dockside and on deck?

Tantrum
05-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Man I used to love Der Weinerschnitzel. The chili dogs and the sauerkraut ones. Those were some fine eats after a day at the beach.

I have heard that wakeboarding is like riding a bike: if you fall, it hurts like he!!. Just make sure you have some sturdy shorts on as water has a nasty habit of migrating up a person's nether-region in a fall.:eek: And no, I'm not talking from experience.:p

LazyL
05-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Man I used to love Der Weinerschnitzel. The chili dogs and the sauerkraut ones. Those were some fine eats after a day at the beach.

Tell me about it! Love the 'kraut dogs, but especially love the mini-corn dogs (a recent invention worthy of Thomas Edison). Good ratio of corn to dog.

Thanks for the "insider" tip re: water insertion. Don't think I'll be able to do the boat thing after all...just checked the temps out there and it's pushing 100 degrees (American). Yuck! Too hot for my pants. Still doin' the Nationals, though. :D

CanariaChick
05-22-2004, 06:52 PM
...the best place to be is the boat! ...and getting yanked around in the water, perfection! :D

Let us know how it goes, wether you go on the boat or there happens to be a wardrove malfunction at the event, ok?

Right now I'm looking for a kite set up to bring to the islands, if anybody knows of a good deal, let me know, ok? Not that I am quitting surfing, but it will be cool to learn another fun board sport to have choices depending on the weather conditions.
http://www.cutre.com/download/fondos/20031228-Maca.jpg

mehugtree
05-23-2004, 06:16 AM
I might have a hook up for you on the kite scene. Been haning out with the Ground Industries boys, who are into both mountainboarding and the kite version. Tested out one in Kansas not too long ago and it was FUUUUNNN!!! They said they can hook me up. Let me see what they mean.

-mht

CanariaChick
05-24-2004, 10:06 AM
So it was FUUUUUUNNN!!!!, eh? That settles it, I gotta try, so let me know whatever connection can be juiced. ;)

By the way, I picked up "Step into Liquid" on DVD, and in the special features section there's a dirtboarding video... I had almost forgotten, last time I pulled the ATB was last fall. Thinking about bringing it to the islands, let's see...

LazyL
05-24-2004, 10:21 PM
Is that your local break? Damn! Look at the color of the water...[lust lust lust]

No question about it, you gots to try kite-surfing/kite-sailing/whatever it's called. Between your board sports, and your sailing steez, it's a natural for you.

When do you and Li'l M rumble over to the homeland?

Coldcat
05-25-2004, 07:38 AM
should be loads of fun. I see them zooming past regularely out here on the beach...I trust you'll rip!!

http://www.alyzea.com/kiteboard/images/centre1_23.jpg

http://www.extremeboarders.com/pictures/air.jpg

canuck
05-25-2004, 08:24 AM
hey! where'd you get those photos of me?!?

CanariaChick
05-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Score!! I just got an awesome dealio for a brand new 7m F-One kite set up with a whole bunch of extras included (lines, bar, harness, pump, etc..).

Now, I just need to figure out how it works before I end up getting dragged all the way to Morocco... :p

So, with that figured out, now I have 3 weeks left to finish work, a whole bunch of miscellaneous ties to knot, and then... we are out of the madhouse!

We will be taking tons of pictures, and should have computer access, so this summer in lieu of snow, I will deliver for you pictures of kite & surfing in beautiful spots, hikes in a remote island, catamaran sailing, scuba diving and hunky boys & girls in bikinis. Do we have a deal? :D

Coldcat
05-25-2004, 11:49 AM
We want the full on glam rock stories too!!!! AND pictures of yourself!!! (talking about gorgeous girls in bikini's)

(btw: being dragged to Morocco is a real probability.........don't do everything yourself, get a hunk to teach you!)

CanariaChick
05-25-2004, 12:23 PM
But since you are so cute, I guess we can arrange something. LOL!

Debauchery on film... :eek: there will be plenty of that as well, rest assured.

And yeah, the guy who is selling me the kite requested (no, demanded) I take some lessons before I jump into the water, particularly after I told him that winds in Pozo Izquierdo average 20 - 45 knots... yeehaw!

BTW, How are your summer plans going?

Coldcat
05-25-2004, 12:40 PM
My summer plans are picobello, senorita (ok, so that was italian followed by spanish, whatever, lets call it european!) The flight is booked, the camping reservations made, the bike reservations made, what more do we need? Oh yeah, a map would be handy.. going out to buy that soon. The site is updated, my entry to the art organisation will go out friday, I did my first full fledged painting since art school (damn! thats already 12 years ago! I'll be 34 soon!!) and we will have our names registered in the govt. office in two weeks. When the actual (small, fast, little, insignificant) ceremony will take place is still uncertain: depends on the waiting list and the summer agenda of both us and our witnesses.

I am working like crazy. The muse has hit me, or I hit her, I dunno.

Sooo.. you're staying in Canaria for two months, right?

CanariaChick
05-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Wow, sounds like things are working out for you... at a fast pace! I would hold on to that muse, if I were you. ;)

I will be in the Canary Islands for almost 3 months!! .. and believe me, I wish it were longer.

BTW, would you mind e-mailing me and LL your current snail mail addy? (I'm not sure if the one I got for you is old, or current) We may have something to send you as an "engagement" present :D

canuck
05-25-2004, 02:59 PM
you will need a large box if I am to fit inside!!

;)

canuck
05-25-2004, 03:00 PM
ok, so this was so not intended to read as it does!!!

zoiinks

LazyL
05-25-2004, 03:09 PM
ok, so this was so not intended to read as it does!!!

zoiinks

That has to be the most un-sexy sexual innuendo/proposition, ever. LOL! :p

Took me a while to get it, too.

Coldcat
05-25-2004, 10:07 PM
LOL!
I got it in an instant...I must have a dirty mind!
:D

Three whole months...... and do you have a couch to crash on during that time?

(Yes, please take a lesson. These kites are huge and there have been deaths recorded: even seasoned kiters still get caught unawares of the power the wind has got. And you are talking huge winds...is the kite small enough for it?)

And LL, the adress you have of me must be accurate still (don't worry, if we find a house, I'll yell it all over the board) So, you decided on wakeboarding yet?

canuck
05-26-2004, 09:22 AM
I was trying a "training kite" over on Vancouver Island and was being dragged across the sand by it!!! Real kites are about 3 or 4 times the square footage...

woohoo...this was pre-atb unfortunately!!