PDA

View Full Version : Gasp! Nominated for the Nobel Peace Price...

CanariaChick
04-21-2004, 11:02 AM
...never expected it so early in my peace activist career, and by my alma mater no less! :D

The University of Las Palmas, GC, has nominated the millions of anti-war activists that protested worldwide on Feb. 15th prior to the invasion of Iraq for this year's Nobel Peace Price! Nominacion en Espaņol (http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2004/04/21/sociedad/1082556293.html) ROTFLMAO!

mehugtree
04-21-2004, 12:55 PM
I know Claude Nobel!

Next time he comes around, I'll put in the good word, k?

-mht

CanariaChick
04-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Now I am plagued with questions... will I have something proper enough to wear? and, does Stockholm have a big enough venue to host the several million candidates? :p

Static
04-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Do you think that all the protesters that blocked Lake Shore Drive in Chicago stopping thousands from getting home from work and Stopping EMS vehicles from getting to a hospital or patients in a quick efficient manner are worthy of the Peace Prize. Wow I guess starting a riot and fighting with Law Enforcement Officials is Peaceful. At least in Chicago it seems.

Ripzalot
04-22-2004, 03:27 AM
It's not surprising that the first country to concede to the terrorists would also publicly pat themselves on the back for it.

These people (http://users.lmi.net/zombie/sf_rally_february_16_2003/) are hardly deserving of an award.

CanariaChick
04-22-2004, 08:57 AM
...that they don't offer a Nobel Warmonger Price! :D

Yeah, al-Qaeda just loves that for the first time in our history, Spain has a woman vice-president, and that 8 out of the 16 ministerial posts were given to women, the new government has also promised to legalize gay marriage... just like the Taliban, eh? They also love that in a matter of 1 month, Spain has been more successful in its fight against terrorists responsible for 11-M, than the USA has been in more than 2 & 1/2 years after 11-S, and whitout invading Morocco or bombing anyone! Could we be up to something? Maybe instead of being so full of yourself, you could learn about different methods to deal with terrorism, obviously the current model the US is applying, is not exactly a smashing success, quite to the contrary, the belligerent methods the US has used to retaliate, have merely antagonized a lot of people around the world, and now bin Laden gets his recruitment done on your tax dollars, yeehaw! ... or is it jihad?! Jeez, they are so hard to differentiate these days...

"Bush/ Bin Laden 2004
Because you have waited for Armaggedon Long Enough" :p

CanariaChick
04-22-2004, 09:21 AM
I wasn't in Chicago, so I can't tell you how it went, but I can tell you that when a protest is organized, permits are obtained with the city, the city and the organizers plan the route, the time frame, etc... I find it unbelievable that the city would not notify emergency services to re-route, while planning and executing the deployment of thousands of security police in the area. Also, you must be confused with the Chicago riots, or the WTO protests, because if there was one characteristic of the Feb. 15 marches worldwide, was its peacefulness. If a handful of morons got arrested for acting out of hand, it does not represent the more than 11 Million people (http://people.cornellcollege.edu/a-free/feb15content.htm) that marched with peace and goodwill in their hearts.

I personally believe that it was a historic day, never before had humanity joined together in such a massive demonstration of solidarity and active civil outcry. While the marchers didn't stop the war, a recognition should be given to the fact that if we want to make the world more peaceful, humanity needs to be more actively engaged. Apathy never helped anyone.

Static
04-22-2004, 10:35 AM
So what does a woman vice president in spain and women elect in spain have to do with the idiot protesters blocking Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. And second of all, be honest with yourself, what would the terrorist actually gain by attacking spain. Hmmm a new government that they want? And is it my tax dollars or your our tax dollars. And if spain is do nice of a place why dont you just move back. I am very confused.

CanariaChick
04-22-2004, 02:32 PM
For starters you are replying to my response to Ripz, my response to you is above, and addresses your point :rolleyes:

Secondly, I can only speculate on why the terrorists attacked Spain, since I don't personally know them, if you want to find out the answer, you may have to ask them yourself.

Lastly, I thought the beauty of America was it's freedom, if I'm not free to march on the streets to criticize the government (which I also did of Aznar, and I'm not anti-Spanish), what is freedom for? But don't despair, Spain is indeed a very nice place, and I am dying to move back, I've been trying for years now, but since I'm part of a beautiful little family, which I love with all my heart, I cannot take drastic meassures that would break us appart or hurt any of its members, so I gotta play transatlantic ballet, some months here, some months there, and in less than 2 months, we'll be there. :)

Reverend SC
04-22-2004, 03:14 PM
You know, over the last year I've reflected quite a bit on this whole US/Iraq/Palestine/Isreal/AQ/Etc thing. I've realized (or crystalized in my own head) that the reason "they" hate America is because of our stance on Isreal. And the only way to diplomatically halt them would be to allow then too obliterate Isreal and all the Jews that live there. That's just not going to happen, so it really doesn't matter what we do or don't do. We could pull our troops out of everywhere and they'd still attack. We could re-install Saddam in Iraq and they wouldn't quit. We could produce all our oil domestically and they wouldn't quit. It just doesn't matter. Anything we do, short of completely abandoning the Jewish people to the fate the Arab world wants, is not enough.

This is why criminalizing Bush, and blaming him for world terror is so perposterous. Sure, they hate him, but they've hated America for allowing Isreal to exist for decades. The Holy Land has been the focal point fo wars for centuries, I don't think anything Bush does or doesn't do will change a damn thing.

I'm not saying we're right, I'm not saying we're wrong, I'm saying it doesn't matter.

Just my jaded opinion.

And by the way, what's with the gas prices? You'd think stolen oil would be a lot cheaper;)

Coldcat
04-23-2004, 01:21 AM
If you bring eleven million humans together, how many nutters will be amongst them?

No indeed, those nutters do not deserve any award. Nor does Bush, who was also rumoured to be nominated (or pushed to be nominated I can't remember) for the nobel prize. Craziness runs amok these days, as these days are difficult and confusing.

May I kindly ask both Canaria and Ripzalot and Static to not add to that craziness in their discourses? This is not a political discussion, this is a slaughtering between two enemies.