PDA

View Full Version : Avalanche clinics: worthwhile?

LazyL
02-11-2004, 05:33 PM
(Holy mother of mehug, I'm actually posting a snowboarding-related thread! Weird.)

Anyway, I'm about to pull the trigger on taking my first avi class, Level I, through these folks:

http://www.sierramountaineering.com/smi_avalanche_school.htm

While I don't have any immediate plans to do backcountry riding, I figured the knowlege might be useful for snowshoeing and maybe x-country skiing jaunts. Does this make sense?

What have your experiences been with avi clinics: worthwhile? Interesting? Boring? Money better spent getting Bon Jovi-style hair highlights?

My outdoorsy group gets a discount ($150 for the class, vs. the usual $245), so that sweetens the deal a bit.

NoKnees
02-11-2004, 06:30 PM
I think it's worth it... If anything it'll open your eyes a bit more in the backcountry. And for a discounted price, why not?

My 2cents worth..

CanariaChick
02-11-2004, 11:53 PM
So if you wanna check the backcountry, learn how to read conditions to stay safe, how to use your gear, and what to do in case of trouble... personally, I find it a fascinating issue, so the avy classes I've taken have been awesome experiences, then again, it's not for everyone, if you don't enjoy hanging out in the snow, shoveling huge blocks to jump on top, or the rush of locating your first beacon... well, then you wouldn't be on this site I guess! :p

I think you would dig it, unless you got something better to do with your American pesos

Ripzalot
02-12-2004, 03:59 AM
Definitely take a course if you ever plan to duck the ropes and head offpiste. Or any type of out of bounds snow activity. It IS a fascinating subject. I'm about due for a refresher course myself. I frequently re-read my avy books but there is nothing like hands-on to firm up your knowledge.

What gets me about avy training is that they more you know is not necessarily making you safer. Statistically, avalanche victim deaths are skewed towards both the novice (who doesn't know better) and the experts (who think they know better). These are the two groups who are more likely to head out into a bad situation. Sometimes it's best to stay slightly ignorant on the subject. ;)

Actually, it's more about having the willpower to say "not today" in spite of how great the conditions may look. I don't have it. But I ride with people who do so that helps me stay in check (most of the time).

LazyL
02-12-2004, 08:42 AM
OK, I'm doing it!

It'll be the first time I've set foot on snow this season. :o <--Hope I can still fit into my snowpants after all those Doritos!

TBone
02-13-2004, 02:40 AM
Definitely worthwile IMO.

Very interesting stuff, makes you look at the mountains and snow w/ a different perspective.

If you're going to be in the b/c for snowshoing or CC skiing, it will be very beneficial--not just for snowboarding.

T

(Holy mother of mehug, I'm actually posting a snowboarding-related thread! Weird.)

Anyway, I'm about to pull the trigger on taking my first avi class, Level I, through these folks:

http://www.sierramountaineering.com/smi_avalanche_school.htm

While I don't have any immediate plans to do backcountry riding, I figured the knowlege might be useful for snowshoeing and maybe x-country skiing jaunts. Does this make sense?

What have your experiences been with avi clinics: worthwhile? Interesting? Boring? Money better spent getting Bon Jovi-style hair highlights?

My outdoorsy group gets a discount ($150 for the class, vs. the usual $245), so that sweetens the deal a bit.

HomerSimpson
02-15-2004, 06:10 PM
Here is another place that offers a similar program. He also holds lectures throughout the Bay Area at REI's. I took the lecture. Pretty informative. then you can decide whether you want to take the class or not.

http://www.snowbridge.org/index.html

NoKnees
02-18-2004, 08:08 PM
I took Dick's weekend class up at Donner. Great guy, good class, very informative. I'll probably take it again next winter just to refresh and expand my knowlegde base a little...

Anyway, definitely worth it if you are in the Tahoe area..

Here is another place that offers a similar program. He also holds lectures throughout the Bay Area at REI's. I took the lecture. Pretty informative. then you can decide whether you want to take the class or not.

http://www.snowbridge.org/index.html