PDA

View Full Version : I miss my achilles....

NoKnees
04-05-2004, 07:59 AM
You know, you never give things enough respect until they leave you? Well, I did respect my achilles, but I don't think it cared... Minor rupture late last summer, major one a week ago. Good news is that it doesn't appear to have been complete. Still attached.. Barely..

If you see a guy walking down the street with a weird limp like one leg is 2-3cms longer than the other, that'd be me. Have a nice heel lift in one shoe now to take stress of my achilles. If all goes well, I should be ready by next season.. ;)

Need to stock up on pre-wrap and athletic tape. Proper tape job requires tape from the bottom of my foot to just under my knee. I'm thinking a cast would actually be more convenient about now... And that's just to try to walk..

Grrr....

Reverend SC
04-05-2004, 08:42 AM
You know, you never give things enough respect until they leave you? Well, I did respect my achilles, but I don't think it cared... Minor rupture late last summer, major one a week ago. Good news is that it doesn't appear to have been complete. Still attached.. Barely..

If you see a guy walking down the street with a weird limp like one leg is 2-3cms longer than the other, that'd be me. Have a nice heel lift in one shoe now to take stress of my achilles. If all goes well, I should be ready by next season.. ;)

Need to stock up on pre-wrap and athletic tape. Proper tape job requires tape from the bottom of my foot to just under my knee. I'm thinking a cast would actually be more convenient about now... And that's just to try to walk..

Grrr....

Are you going to change your name to "No Ankles"?

Tantrum
04-05-2004, 08:44 AM
major one a week ago. Good news is that it doesn't appear to have been complete. Still attached.. Barely.
So this implies going under the knife? I hope that goes well. Maybe when the doctor is in there, s/he can put in a millimeter or two extra so that you won't tear it again. Your foot may be a bit floppy from the slack, but at least you won't tear it again!:D

CanariaChick
04-05-2004, 11:02 AM
I was going to say what a coincidence, but not really I guess... ouch on the achilles tear! Do you know what caused it? I hope it heals promptly and that with some physical therapy you'll have a spring in your step in no time. ;)

But anyhow, back to the ever important subject of my glutes... :o Plans had been made with some friends to hike up Mt. St. Helens on Sunday, weather permitting, and ride back down, however, being the impulse creature that I am, when Saturday morning rolled around as a beautiful sunny bluebird sky, I just grabbed my gear and headed out to the local hill, "just for a few fun runs", not wanting to get too pooped for the 6 hour hike the next day.

As fate would have it, at the chair lift, I met a couple of the local terrain "park rats", these girls insisted that I ride the park with them, since the snow coverage was otherwise barely there, I figured I had nothing better to do, throwing caution out the window...

Man, we totally got into it, run after run, non-stop, hitting the big table tops, step-ups, spines, rails, funboxes... for the next 4 hours the only rest we got was the time in the chair. I hate to toot my own horn, but since none of you were there to toot it for me, I must say that for a 29yo mom, who spends most of her time in the backcountry, I was totally sckoolin' the "park rats" :D I was sticking all my rotations and boardsliding like I had just been hitting rails the day before (instead of the season before), the girls were high-fiving me after the runs, and we all hollered at each others moves... ridiculous amounts of fun, that's for sure.

With a huge grin and an inflated ego, I drove back to town congratulating myself for the performance, maybe a bit too early... as the evening progressed and my muscles began to cool down, I started to feel my age... the left knee needed ice, my whole body heavy doses of Ibuprofen, just so I could simply sit down... LOL!! I mean, all the hiking, riding, biking, etc... somehow didn't prepare me for the equivalent of 4 hours of intense squatting excercise... let's just say, today I'm using the handicapped stall.

When my friends called me on Sat. night to confirm for St. Helens, I felt like the biggest idiot having to cancel, but with my luck, the weather turned lame on Sunday and the hike had to be canceled anyway... :cool:

canuck
04-05-2004, 11:16 AM
you go girl!!

That's awesome, I hit a few tables myself on friday and my friend got some sweet sequence shots of the snow at his feet...

why does that always happen? My first rainbow also...sheesh!

Reverend SC
04-05-2004, 11:26 AM
You kids....

I've almost completely abandoned the park. I separated my shoulder on a 25' rainbow (read: short funbox) a couple years ago. I need my shoulders, so I pretty much stopped parking it.

But, in demoing the Timeless Saturday, I went on a run at Boreal that is mostly cool rollers all the way down, no lips, just nice rollers. I was going very fast and came up on a pretty big one. I thought "oh sh!t, I'm going way too fast". Instead of trying to stop, I just went flat and relaxed. I left the snow, flew for a while and landed clean. I hardly noticed the landing at all, but on my way up the lift, I saw my mark. A clean flat base easing into a toe side edge about half way down the other side. I flew a loong way, not too high, absolutly clean, perfect, felt awesome.

I caught myself eyeing the park....

My knees ran away....

TBone
04-05-2004, 01:51 PM
First your knee(s), then your job, now your achilles?

Bummer man. You going under the knife?

Maybe you and I should hang out together early season next year testing our legs out.

I'm assuming no VB for you this summer too, huh? :(

T

NoKnees
04-05-2004, 03:25 PM
First your knee(s), then your job, now your achilles?

Bummer man. You going under the knife?

Maybe you and I should hang out together early season next year testing our legs out.

I'm assuming no VB for you this summer too, huh? :(

TYah, looks like no VB for a while. I see my orthopedic later this week to get the final verdict on what's up. Maybe knife, maybe not. As said, the sad thing is my "offseason" if you can call it that, conditioning had me in better shape than ever. Better range of motion, more flexibility, and stronger/better balanced muscles in my legs. Thought I was doing everything I could. Then pop.. Ah well, life goes on... Theory is that my calve overpowered the achilles where it had some scaring from a minor tear last year. That was one of the reasons I was going out of my way to condition it this winter. Guess I didn't help it enough... I need to just stick to the sand I guess. Hardcourt gives too much resitence. It's alway indoor that kills me..

The joys of being human...

TBone
04-06-2004, 09:19 AM
You did it at the end of the season instead of the beginning?

Hope things turn out alright and some PT can do the trick for ya.

Yours in leg-lackingness.

T

elex
04-06-2004, 09:38 AM
NoJob,NoKnees & NoAchilles,maybe we'll call you YesJob to get things rolling again for your knees & achilles.Sorry about the tear & the riser in your shoe.Should we call you Forrest,have any analogies about chocolate.Make sure you drink lots of beer. I think I'll be down there again towards the end of the week.
late,
e

NoKnees
04-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Beer is good... As far as names, I've already had someone say "Bring on the Gimp" when I've recently entered a room. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but good for a laugh none the less..

Ah well, all things heal in time... Next year TBone and I will have to form a bording team named "Da Gimps" or somthing...

Don't work too hard E... Your work day yesterday reminded me of my snowboarding days. 8 hours of play, 9 hours driving... I can motivate for that on a powder day, but to work? Tough deal..

elex
04-06-2004, 01:13 PM
Including the drive,it was a 21 hour day with 3 hours of sleep.Off to Mammoth in a few hours then back to SF,I think.At least gas is cheap,oh wait.Can't complain,rather do that than live in fulltime in SF.Think of my girlfriend,I mean my press.
coffEE

Snow Nymph
04-06-2004, 10:34 PM
No Knees, hope its not too serious.

It sux getting old. Canaria Chicks story reminded me of my weekend.

I got in on the Vertical Cure challenge on Saturday. I heard they had a snowboard division this year so why not? I strapped on the altimeter watch and tried hard to keep up with the skiers. I have a little advantage being on a board, I strap in before I get off the lift, so I get off and go. This went on from 8:30am to 4:15pm. I only stopped for 20 minutes for the group photo. I wasn't hungry, and I didn't have to pee. I drank 20 oz of Cytomax and had 3 Hammer Gels and 1/2 of a Hershey's cookie bar. I normally don't stop for lunch and ride all day anyway, just not at the speed I was going that day. Thats another advantage I have from running marathons, I can keep going and going and going. My back quad was burning that last hour. I'm goofy, and squatted for more control. I never go that fast and point it down. So the next day, my right cheek and my left quad were pretty sore. What a wierd combination! I hobbled around the office all day. Today its not too bad.

I ended up with 63,450', 6th finisher overall, 1st female and 1st snowboarder. My 2 friends tied at 77,180'. Last year one of them won at 65,870'. The second female did 23K on skis. I think I might hold this record for awhile. Not bad for a 47 y/o, eh!

Hope my legs are feeling better for Colorado on Friday! Whooo hooo!

CanariaChick
04-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Wow lady, representin'! That is so awesome... :D

How's the bod feeling now? ...what's the saying, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger? :p

NoKnees
04-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Definitely impressive... Don't think I could touch those numbers even if all my parts were working properly. Way to go!

The event itself looked like a blast. I might have to put it on the calendar for next year and give it a try. Get out the long skinny board and let it rip... I guess I need to work on getting healthy again first.

Grr... Going to another doc this afternoon, and then another on Friday. Maybe by then they'll figure out if they want to cut me up or not. In the meantime I hobble...

At least I'm not missing any late season dumps in Tahoe.. yet...