PDA

View Full Version : paging Tbone (oh, and u 2 Tantrum)

canuck
04-01-2004, 09:42 AM
how about that "Wild" anyhow? (figure I better rub it in a little now in case we choke on the next 2 games)

Bad memories forgotten
Players breathe sigh of relief as team climbs back into Northwest lead

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Forget the bewildering losses, the losing streak and Markus Naslund's slump.

Forget the desultory power play, the goaltending, Naslund's elbow and Brian Burke's contract.

Forget Steve Moore and his photo op, and, yes, forget Todd Bertuzzi. Forget all that because the Vancouver Canucks are back in first place and that's all they care about now. They have forgotten everything else.

What began as one of the most miserable, disheartening months in the National Hockey League franchise's history, ended stupendously Wednesday with a 2-1 victory against the Anaheim Mighty Ducks that lifted Vancouver back into first place in the Northwest Division.

With two games remaining, they are tied with the Colorado Avalanche at 97 points and ahead of them on wins.

"Holy sh--. I mean holy cow," veteran Canuck Trevor Linden said. "Despite the struggles, playing poorly, we had a lot of belief in what we were doing."

The Avalanche lost 5-4 in overtime Wednesday against the Minnesota Wild. The Dallas Stars, also passed by the Canucks in the Western Conference playoff race, were beaten 3-1 by the Edmonton Oilers.

The night was made perfect for the Canucks when Sami Salo's point shot glided through traffic and over Duck goalie Martin Gerber's left shoulder with 20.3 seconds remaining.

Salo, beaned in the chest by the puck on Anaheim's goal, said his heart was fine. So is the Canucks' ticker.

"Nobody expected this, except the guys in this room," Canuck winger Matt Cooke said after charging to the net to distract Gerber on Salo's winner. "We never quit. We were going through tough times, but we never gave up. It made us stronger as a team."

The Canucks, whose loss of Bertuzzi to suspension for his March 8 attack on Moore was the low point of a 2-5-3-1 plunge, have won four straight and can clinch their first division title since 1993 with victories Friday in San Jose and Saturday at home against Edmonton.

"This says a lot about our character," Naslund, the Canuck captain, said after scoring in his second straight game following a 10-game drought. "It has been a tough ride for a few weeks here but we found ways to get back to our game and start playing strong hockey again.

"We weren't really worried about catching Colorado. We were trying to get through a tough stretch and get going again."

Aware of the Avalanche's loss, the Canucks roared out the first few shifts and immediately began pouring shots on Gerber.

They couldn't, however, score. Daniel Sedin's shot from the slot was deflected over the net, and Gerber stopped Jarkko Ruutu and Linden from the high slot.

Canuck goalie Dan Cloutier faced only two first-period shots, neither of them on the good scoring chances that Steve Rucchin and Petr Sykora blew when they failed to connect solidly on passes to the front of the net.

Mighty Duck defenceman Ruslan Salei was shooting wide, too, at 2:38 of the second period when the puck -- destined for Palm Springs -- hit Salo in the chest and caromed right for a 1-0 Anaheim lead.

"I lost some feeling in my arm," Salo, who doubled over in pain, said after the game. "As the game went on, it was better."

So did the Canucks.

Naslund tied it at 6:15 of the middle period, finishing a beautiful 3-on-2 passing play that included Morrison and Cooke.

The Canucks were relentless in the third period, frantic to seize control of the division race.

They out-shot the Ducks 22-4 in the final 20 minutes. Gerber stopped the first 21 of them. He never saw Salo's shot, made possible when Morrison won an offensive-zone faceoff against Sergei Fedorov.

"When we lost that game to Columbus [5-4 on March 21], I think a lot of guys were unsure of the division," Morrison said. "It goes to show you never know what can happen. That's why you never stop playing. Now we control our destiny. Hopefully, we learned something from last year."

The Canucks held the division lead for 129 days last season before the Avalanche passed them on the final afternoon. Vancouver needs to hold the lead only five days this time.

Tantrum
04-01-2004, 10:58 AM
You could have left me out of the title as I am NOT an Avelanche fan.

I almost laughed out loud when I heard Barry Melrose say on Hockey Tonight that he thinks the Avs will win the Stanley Cup. Say what? The Avs are playing terrible hockey right now, plus they have many stars out with injuries. One Av (I can't remember who) said there aren't many teams who would want to play us (the Avs) in a 7-game series. Say what again? The Avs are 1-7 in their last 8 games and I might add they weren't against very good hockey clubs (see Wild).

The Avs CAN'T win at Pepsi Center and they haven't been winning on the road so I don't know where they can play to pick up a few wins in their first round series.

Go Canucks!:rolleyes:

canuck
04-01-2004, 11:06 AM
you know what they say, the playoffs are the beginning of a brand new season, except for last year when both the Avs and Canucks were thrashed by the Wild....plllfftt

go leafs go

Tantrum
04-01-2004, 11:15 AM
But the Avs can't shake the funk they are in.

Go Red Wings!

TBone
04-05-2004, 01:47 PM
The Avs shouldn't even be in the playoffs, that's how good they look right now. I've almost given up on the hockey season, and am eagerly anticipating the curling season, er um....baseball where hopefully my Cubs will either break my heart sooner, or don't break it at all.

Have fun in Sweden after 6 more NHL games Peter. :(

T

TBone
04-05-2004, 01:49 PM
Go Red Wings!

Ya don't have to be an Avs fan, but you can't live here and say what you just said!

You sicken me!

T

canuck
04-05-2004, 01:50 PM
I dunno man, if they can squeeze through the 1st round it could be a whole different scenario....Avs have so much talent that you shouldn't write them off just yet, they did finish 2nd in the Division you know?! :cool:

I'll be at the opener against the Flames, should be a good series -we've got a long rivalry going on....

go Leafs!

Tantrum
04-05-2004, 01:53 PM
I posted that inflammatory remark 4 days ago and you are just now commenting on it?:rolleyes:

I know, I know, Dr. B is keeping you busy but that's no reason to neglect the board.:p

Tantrum
04-05-2004, 01:56 PM
Have fun in Sweden after 6 more NHL games Peter. :(You have high hopes if you think the Avs will win 2 games in the Stars series. They play the first 2 at home which means they'll go to Dallas down 2 games to none.:p

canuck
04-05-2004, 02:12 PM
such a true fan!

I hate Modano (he's American right?) and have loved the Avs since they were the Nordiques...methinks you underestimate them...

Tantrum
04-05-2004, 02:21 PM
The Avs have only won 1 game at home the last month and a half. I don't see things changing much any time soon. Plus, they lost their last home game to Nashville, which will set the tone for the playoffs.

TBone
04-05-2004, 02:47 PM
You still can't say...."Go #@! Wings!"

T

TBone
04-05-2004, 02:53 PM
I love the guys, but....

probably currently playing as poorly as any playoff team, playing a pretty hot team, with a coach that's never won a playoff series and a goalie who's never played a minute in the NHL playoffs.

Not to mention Kariya may be out for a while, Tanguay likely won't be back for a few games, (if at all in the 1st round) Selanne has found the net once since like the all star break, Forsberg gets frustrated every time someone pulls him down and costs us a power play. (oh, speaking of power play, the Avs power play sucks, and the penalty kill isn't looking much better)

Now, I'm a Cubs fan, eternally optimistic and stuff, but....the Avs look horrible and until they actually look decent for a couple games, I'm going to say make your tee times early boys. (what's the difference between this team and the team that lost to the Wild last year? No Roy in goal, the addition of Selanne--I'm not counting the injured Kariya, and less quality defenders) In addition to being a Cubs fan, I'm a realist. ;) But I'll be looking for the proper drink combinations to bring us a victory over Dallas.

T

NoKnees
04-05-2004, 03:31 PM
But I can say "Go Sharks!" Woohoo!

San Jose doesn't get much respect these days... They should do well, I won't go to any games. They always loose when I show up or even watch.. What's up with that?

Tantrum
04-06-2004, 06:27 AM
You're right. I could get physically harmed if I said that too loud.:D

canuck
04-06-2004, 08:54 AM
I think they might do well...you should go to a game though, playoff hockey rocks!!!

bring it on...

:p

canuck
04-06-2004, 08:55 AM
and Detroit truly does suck suck suck...hate them

did I mention this could be the year that my beloved Leafs go all the way?!

woohoo

TBone
04-06-2004, 09:15 AM
Anybody's year, and yes, I do like the Sharks this year. They could "sneak" up there. Detroit has too many goal issues, and they're Detroit.

Don't be surprised if a surprise team takes it this year.

T

canuck
04-06-2004, 09:19 AM
thinks he's out for the season?

I agree on it being anybody's year, well maybe not Tampa.

Do you know of any good playoof hockey pool sites where I can get some ideas??

TBone
04-06-2004, 10:19 AM
BTW, a local sports radio station has a poll on how well the Avs will do against the Stars. 85% of the people say Stars beat the Avs, 13% say it'll be a sweep. Avs fans are a fickle bunch. ;)

T

canuck
04-06-2004, 10:54 AM
that's sad dude!!!

It's playoff time!!!!!!!

I figure we'll beat Calgary in 6 but will be a battle, they've been playing well....

Tantrum
04-08-2004, 06:17 AM
The Avs looked pretty good last night. If they keep it up, they may do quite well. Who'd have thought they could turn it around so quickly? Other than you, I mean?:p

Tanguay likely won't be back for a few games, (if at all in the 1st round) Don't you just love the mis-information the pro teams dish? You would have thought Tanguay's leg had fallen off the way the Avs made his injury sound. Then he comes out and scores the game winner. Penalty killing looked sharp (0 for 5). However, the 5-3 in the first looked terrible. They'll need to step it up on their power play.

TBone
04-08-2004, 07:32 AM
Seems like we couldn't score 3 goals the entire second half of the season, Tanguay comes back, and mira!

Really need to get the power play going--especially against a goalie like Turco. Game 2 should be interesting.

Abbie looked really good in his first playoff start.

T

Tantrum
04-09-2004, 08:34 AM
go leafs gobut the Leafs (Leaves?) are down 1-0 and have lost home ice advantage. Are you nervous yet?:D

canuck
04-12-2004, 10:33 AM
eat any crow lately?!!

who loves ya??

:D

canuck
04-12-2004, 10:34 AM
nope, they're back in it now.....

canuckleheads too...

Tantrum
04-12-2004, 10:48 AM
but the Avs won't get out of the first round. Mark my words!

As for the Leafs, enjoy it while it's good. The Senators are coming back.

NoKnees
04-12-2004, 12:01 PM
GO Sharks!