PDA

View Full Version : (OT) Cry baby?

Coldcat
04-01-2004, 02:06 AM
.. so what (part of what) movie made you cry your eyes out? it just me or are there other people around who get 'emotionally incontinent' when viewing TV/movie drama?
Maybe I'm just a cry baby?

(one day my two little brothers deemed themselves too big and cool to cry for tv scenes. My mom then challenged them to a bet: If you cry tonight becuase of a movie, you have to clean the house for me tomorrow. If you succeed in not crying, we'll go to the luna park (some kind of kids attraction) instead. It turned out she knew 'Jody and the deer' was coming on that night........)

I just saw an italian film 'Io no ho paura' (I hold no fear) this weekend, and cried my eyes out at the last scene.

Which one made you cry? or do you never cry?

Tantrum
04-01-2004, 07:40 AM
I get emotionally incontinent when I see kids in horrible situations, such as parents died, abuse, etc. Also true for scenes where parents have lost children. Ditto for cruelty to animals. Coldcat, I guess you and I are softies.http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:4qKE-WwfexwJ:chat.hol.gr/client/cry.gif

Reverend SC
04-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Unfortunately, I ball watching sports movies. The emotion of competition, the underdog fighting and winning. I freaking cried during the finale of Major League. I'm pathetic...

canuck
04-01-2004, 08:58 AM
Waterworld

I cried over the tragedy of actually making such a bad film (Heaven's Gate resulted in heavy sobbing but no actual tears)

Tantrum
04-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Unfortunately, I ball watching sports movies. The emotion of competition, the underdog fighting and winning. I freaking cried during the finale of Major League. I'm pathetic...
That one should really get you going.:)

NoKnees
04-01-2004, 09:54 AM
Good subject.... I wanted to post a recomendation for a movie from a book that was recently made into a documentary. Hmm, did that come out right? Anyway, look up the movie "Touching the Void". The original book was awesome. And yah, I already read it, new everything in it, and I still became emotionaly incontinent (thanks Tantrum) at the end.

Anyway, it's a book about to young blokes who went mountaineering in Peru. Yah, that had an epic like no other. If you've read any mountaineering books you know this story.. If you haven't read any, this is where to start.

So, what makes me cry? Um, happiness more than anything. Strong bonds of love, etc..

But like dude, I'm a dude, I don't cry.. I just get, um, misty eyed.. ;) Yah, that's it.. Besides, chicks dig it..

First movie I cried at, Bambi...

Reverend SC
04-01-2004, 10:04 AM
That one should really get you going.:)

I'm going to wait for the video, they don't let me in the theater with that much Kleenex... I teared up watching the documentry on ESPN2...

Tantrum
04-01-2004, 10:52 AM
they don't let me in the theater with that much Kleenex
Stuff a bunch of kleenex into your shorts. The girls will think you are packing some heat, plus when they see you bawling, they'll also think you are sensitive. Savy?:p

Reverend SC
04-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Stuff a bunch of kleenex into your shorts. The girls will think you are packing some heat, plus when they see you bawling, they'll also think you are sensitive. Savy?:p

Yeah, savy, right up until I reach into my pants then blow my nose and wipe my eyes with my underwear (which is what that would look like in a theater, knowing my luck).

Speaking of blowing noses, my uncle (the one on my CD swap CD) wrote a song called "You Can Wipe Your Eyes and Blow Your Nose on the Shirts I Leave Behind". I think I'll try to put that on this year's CD Swap (assuming we have one).

Tantrum
04-01-2004, 11:17 AM
a sensitive guy. Post an MP3 of the song, that way we won't have to wait for the CD.

Reverend SC
04-01-2004, 11:30 AM
a sensitive guy. Post an MP3 of the song, that way we won't have to wait for the CD.

It was on his first album 20 years ago, as far as I know it's vinyl only. I'll check with him to see if he converted it to any kind of useable form.

CanariaChick
04-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Now this is an interesting subject, I personally don't consider myself a cry baby, certainly not much for physical pain, I seem to handle that very well (broken bones, stitches, even given childbirth with no anesthesia, and not a tear out of pain), but then comes the emotional stuff, and I just open up the dams... Just this week, I can recall watching 21 Grams, and weeping uncontrollably at the scene in the hospital when Naomi Watts finds out her husband and 2 cute lil' daughters have been killed, or when she's alone in the house and crumbles looking through the ajar bedroom door with the paper hearts, and their toys looking like they were just there playing... as a parent, that is my worst nightmare, that is a pain I can relate to. I could also relate to a documentary on PBS last night titled The New Americans, which followed several immigrant families from their homes of origin around the world, to their struggles to survive the reality of life in America, and how torn one feels between dreams and goals, and the longing for home... sometimes it made me laugh, sometimes it made me cry.

But that's not all, not siree, I also cry with books! Right now I'm reading "Steady as She Goes" a collection of writings from women sailors (pretty cool by the way) and jeez, the tale of a member of a fishing crew who died in Alaska, was a total tear jerker... or maybe I'm an uber-sensitive cheeseball :o (I think I just found the meaning of this smilie!)

MARK
04-01-2004, 02:15 PM
.. so what (part of what) movie made you cry your eyes out? it just me or are there other people around who get 'emotionally incontinent' when viewing TV/movie drama?
Maybe I'm just a cry baby?

(one day my two little brothers deemed themselves too big and cool to cry for tv scenes. My mom then challenged them to a bet: If you cry tonight becuase of a movie, you have to clean the house for me tomorrow. If you succeed in not crying, we'll go to the luna park (some kind of kids attraction) instead. It turned out she knew 'Jody and the deer' was coming on that night........)

I just saw an italian film 'Io no ho paura' (I hold no fear) this weekend, and cried my eyes out at the last scene.

Which one made you cry? or do you never cry?
I never really cry from a movie, but here and there get teary eyed if that makes any sense. Usually when it happens I do it on purpose just to see if I can(call me strange), but I do remember when I was young watching E.T. at the movies and crying. I also unpurposely got teary eyed at the end of Titanic :cool: