PDA

View Full Version : Spring in the Sierra

NoKnees
03-31-2004, 11:52 AM
And I'll enjoy it from the sidelines...

I love some good fresh corn days up there. But I most likely won't even get that. I think I've done myself in for the season again.

Has anyone out there ever pulled something in their achilles/lower calf are real bad? Weirdest feeling..

Anyway, had been playing vball for a couple hours, well hydrated still, and over all having a good day. Anyway, I went back for a shot, put my right foot back and put all my weight on it to push off and run back forward. Wham! Felt like someone hit me across the achilles with a bat or something. A sudden "wham!" then warmth... I freeze, spin my head around to look behind me and there is nothing there. I try to move my right foot and realize that suddenly there really isn't much there either. I knew the routine. Limped to the bleachers, put it up, and got ice on it immediately.

Good news is no bruising or discoloration, so not likely any major tears. A bit of swelling, but not too bad. And no big lumps where muscle or tendon would be hanging out if completely torn. Just can't raise the end of my foot without pain and resistence.

Anyway, I'm out for a while.... No spring riding this year. No Kirkwood banked slalom.. :( Had 3 years in a row at that thing, guess it was time for a break...

Oh well, at least I'll get this out of the way before summer properly starts. And I should be rid of my limp before my wedding.. :)

And yah, I always hurt myself. It's just what I do. If I play, I play 100%... Ah well...

...Grumpy...

CanariaChick
03-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Man, that sounds weird... but don't count out the spring season just yet, do gentle stretches, let the foot rest a few days, and you may just be fine by the weekend, who knows? :confused:

I hope it feels better soon, and may your fiance give you a nice rub! (on the calf, of course :p )

Tantrum
03-31-2004, 01:38 PM
No Kirkwood banked slalom.. :( Had 3 years in a row at that thing, guess it was time for a break...
It was time for a strain not a break.:p Sounds like you know the drill for treatment (ICER) so I can't offer anything else. Get well soon.

canuck
03-31-2004, 01:51 PM
Go see your Doc....

(Is she cute like mine?)

If if does happen to be a tear or rupture of your Achilles, the longer you wait means the more the tendon will atrophy, and the less likely your chances of a full recovery?

just my .02, of course my doctor is a total babe so I go see her often.

LazyL
03-31-2004, 03:47 PM
Is that a common v-ball injury? Any of your v-ball friends have any insight?

Hope it heals quickly, and that you can nibble on some late-season corn despite it.

I recently tweaked my calf learning how to toss/catch a softball, of all things. And it's mucked with my rear-leg patella. GRRR! No more flat-lander sports during snow season.

Anyway, speedy recovery. And all the adrenaline flowing through you at your wedding ceremony will see you through, no matter what. -- Funny, though...I've not received my invite to the wedding reception yet? ;)

pinkyj
03-31-2004, 05:38 PM
You should go see the doc just to make sure you didn't tear something. Cuz if heaven forbid you did, the sooner the treatment the better. Good luck.

NoKnees
03-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Yah, that's the tricky part though... I just dropped off my previouse insurance, and was about to start a new. Hopefully I'll get new coverage in the next few days and then maye I will "hurt myself" this weekend for real once I'm covered..

Timing is everything they say..

pinkyj
04-01-2004, 02:00 PM
I know the whole cobra insurance issue thing. They're a pain in the butt to work with. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your injury this weekend won't be as bad as it sounds. Good luck.

--jerel

NoKnees
04-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the positive thoughts. Some bruising started to show up yesterday towards the bottom of my foot but I'm not suprised. So, some minor tearing happened I guess. Trying to get my new insurance set up asap... The one month I'm out of coverage of course... Ah well, life goes on..

At least as of today with stiff hiking boots on I can drive again. Just hope I'm not behind you, as hard breaking will be questionable.. ;)

jcc
04-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Get well soon- injuries suck, don't they! At least this happened at the end of the season, and it looks like you've had plenty of good days. Alas, you can always do the tourist thing around the lake and work on that spring tan. . . But do see a doctor about it.

Perhaps you could get coverage for this month???

Reverend SC
04-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Spring rules. Ice in the morning, which is great because many people stay in the lodge till it "loosens up", so the lines even on a Saturday are nil. Then, when it gets hot, you can jump snowmobile wakes!