PDA

View Full Version : Good book, bad corporations

freecarve26
03-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Just finished reading "Downhill Slide : Why the Corporate Ski Industry Is Bad for Skiing, Ski Towns, and the Environment" by Hal Clifford. The title pretty much says it all. It's a well researched book that talks about how companies like Intrawest(owners of numberous places such as Whistler, Stratton, Blue Mountain, Snowshoe, and Mountain Creek), Vail Resorts, and American Ski Company affect the enviroment and small towns near the resports themselves and how they end up hurting skiing and riding as a whole in the process. It's definately making me think about what mountains my money and teaching skills are going to next season and why I'll continue to avoid resorts for the smaller, independent areas.
James

Tantrum
03-31-2004, 07:51 AM
is making it too expensive for some friends to keep their condo at Copper Mountain so they are going to sell it after 15 years of ownership.:mad:

Vail has made some improvements to their hills (Keystone, Breck, Vail/BC) which is good for riding. I can't comment about the impact on the towns, though.

I'll have to check it out.

canuck
03-31-2004, 01:53 PM
make sure you read the entire book and not just one page

Tantrum
03-31-2004, 02:03 PM
make sure you read the entire book and not just one page
No problem. As long as it has pictures, I'm OK.

canuck
03-31-2004, 02:04 PM
ya, so speaking of pictures....

you remember the 80's photo you owe us all right?!

Tantrum
03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
I looked but I don't have my high-school years pictures with me. Besides, I was a Mod, not a Nu Romantic in high-school so my hairstyle wouldn't have been too drastic.

canuck
03-31-2004, 02:28 PM
oh so maybe a shot of you in bowling shoes and a khaki cape (with bulls-eye) sitting astride your Lambretta?

Tantrum
03-31-2004, 02:38 PM
That's me on the far left.

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-60003/prodigy/pics/ska2.jpg