PDA

View Full Version : Yoohoo, Canaria... Baker trip report?

LazyL
03-25-2004, 12:19 PM
So, how was your trip?

Any tales of derring-do, or fashion-don'ts?

CanariaChick
03-25-2004, 01:40 PM
As our friends began arriving into town on Thursday night, the excitement began to build up, unfortunatelly, not everything was going as planned, and our littlest "crew member" (6 yo Lil'M) was not doing too god. She had been excited about the trip for weeks, but as the day approached she had a gnarly stomach virus that had her puking all day Friday with a galloping fever of 102.7, while the doctor had already given her medication, her dad and I kept wondering if she should stay home instead... but she was having none of that, she was the first to wake up on Saturday morning claiming she was well and ready to go to the snow... :rolleyes: Jeez, she reminds me of someone I know! :D So, with new-found respect for Lil'M (and some extra care), we loaded all our gear, stopped by our friends' house, and headed to Mt. Baker!

The previous day it had dumped 13 inches, and there were still lots of powder to be had under the bluebird sky. We separated into 2 groups: Bunny hill for Lil'M, Diamond C, and Theo; and backcountry for Sam, Nate, Mona and yours trully. Coming from New Mexico, they were totally pumped to ride the NW, you could hear the hollers each time we rode a powder field, airs were had, moves were busted, and drops were landed... so awesome! We also saw a gnarly avalanche take a skier over a cliff, as it happened my thought was: "Sh!t, we just saw a dude get killed", but as I have said before, if you are gonna get hit by an avalanche may as well be at Mt. Baker, that place must have some seriously good omen, because minutes later, skier-dude was looking for his gear around the debris.

After riding 'til the lifts closed, we headed back to Glacier to check into our cute little mountain cabin, isn't it adorable?
http://www.glaciercreeklodge.com/images/Pictures/2brext.jpg

After sleeping arrangements were made and soggy clothes left to dry, we took a hike along the Nooksack river, had delicious dinner at Milano's, returned to the cabin to claim the hottub to ourselves (aaahhhh), and later, back at the cabin with Lil'm down for the count, we drank and played the most hillarious game of Monopoly ever, that was until we were cordially reminded that other people wanted to sleep too... oops!

Sunday was another great day at the hill, so sunny and warm that t-shirt was the standard... pass the sunblock! lots of fun runs until noon, when the snow got too heavy and sticky, so we joined the bunny hill crew, and played around the snow with them until shade began to cool off some areas of the hill, which sent us back to riding higher terrain, albeit at this point, the riding was strictly inbounds, because the avalanche danger was insanely high.

By the end of the day, as we were driving back to Seattle, all I could see around me were content, happy, sun-burnt faces. Lil'M had a great time and the New Mexico compadres would not stop thanking us for the excellent trip, so everybody happy! And so am I. :)

NoKnees
03-25-2004, 02:14 PM
Great trip report... Sounds like good times were had by all... That's what it's about... Thanks for sharing the positive vibe... We all need more of that in life...

LazyL
03-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Strip Monopoly, eh? You cute little closet capitalist swine, you. :p And here I'd pegged you for an Uncle Wiggly kinda gal. ;)

Great report -- sounds like the trip was a hoot and a holler. Li'l M rules.

CanariaChick
03-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey, hey there, I had the ghetto, the ritzy neighborhood, all the utilities and the train stations... I got the capitalist game nailed! It's just that in real life I can't manage to be that ruthless... something about ethics and morals, that kinda gets in the way. :p

Lil'M rules big time, she is the cutest little shredder out there, giving lessons to her dad, I almost cried when she taught him how to carve a heelside turn. LOL!

canuck
03-26-2004, 11:02 AM
yup, that's what it's all about huh?!!

riding, drinking and strip monopoly!

:D

jibnot
03-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Nice…….that blue hotel was the first paid accommodations of my trip. Van camping in the PNW gets extremely soggy.

This is a test errrrrrrr things change, new look.