PDA

View Full Version : boot help! please help!

ams
03-24-2004, 10:17 AM
like many other first time buyers, i found myself buying a boot which was too big, in fear of doing the exact opposite and buying too small. now i am finding it extremely frustrating when i feel like i am about to slip out of my boot. i kno this situation was be dangerous, so i would love some tips on how to solve this problem with out having to purchase a whole new boot.
is there a lining i can buy or something i can put in my boot to help with my situation. advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!!
ams

HomerSimpson
03-24-2004, 08:04 PM
Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do w/ those boots. The problem will worsen w/ wear due to your boot trying to mold to your foot. They do make straps that you wear on the outside of your boot to lessen heal lift, but I don't think it will help much in your case. Did you buy these boots at a shop? I can't believe a reputable shop will sell you ill fitting boots. :confused:

MARK
03-25-2004, 05:41 AM
like many other first time buyers, i found myself buying a boot which was too big, in fear of doing the exact opposite and buying too small. now i am finding it extremely frustrating when i feel like i am about to slip out of my boot. i kno this situation was be dangerous, so i would love some tips on how to solve this problem with out having to purchase a whole new boot.
is there a lining i can buy or something i can put in my boot to help with my situation. advice would be greatly appreciated!! thanks!!
ams
There are several things you can do to help address the issue, but it may not totally go away. Here are some in the order they should be tried:
wear one pair of thick snowboarfd socks, add a self adhesive padding strip to the outside of the liner above the heel, add a cork shim(imagine a flat insole) under your existing insole, add a heel lift under the heel area of the insole(take out the shim if this is does), add a power strap externally around the top of the boot if the top of the boot is not completely tight around your leg, add an INTERNAL heel anchor to the outside of the liner(do not use an external one on the outside of the boot as it won't help well). Ask a local shop with help on any of this. Read up on the subject of "Boot Fitting" at www.geocities.com/snowfactory.
This is not directly pertaining to you, but it is not uncommon for a person to willingly go too big in size when the correct size is recommended by the boot fitter. It happens and the shop surely shouldn't take back a pair of used boots after the effort was made. It's always best for the shop to note on the receipt that the lower size was recommended, just in case. Heck I've even had customers fill out release of liability forms ON BOOT purchases just to drive it home that they were making a mistake :eek: Unfortuntely there is far more bad fitting by stores than there is good :mad: Hand them the box and walk away, yeah that's a great fit job...

elex
03-25-2004, 07:12 AM
I hated fitting boots,heck I have a hard time fitting myself.My current boots were pretty snug, but free.I spent a week in them before the season,now they're like slippers or a hug from a big momma.Do you normally fit people so that their toes are barely touching the end of the liner when standing in fully tighten boots?
bootE

ams
03-25-2004, 06:07 PM
thanks for all the advice and boot buying sympathy. it sounds like it might be quite an ordeal to make it work with me and my boots, but i am willing to do my best. unfortunately i bought my boots with ppl who knew almost nothing about bootfitting, but thanks to the responces i am a little more optimistic that my situation can get better... :D
thanks again!
ams

MARK
03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
I hated fitting boots,heck I have a hard time fitting myself.My current boots were pretty snug, but free.I spent a week in them before the season,now they're like slippers or a hug from a big momma.Do you normally fit people so that their toes are barely touching the end of the liner when standing in fully tighten boots?
bootE
With the boot snuggly laced up, wait at least 5-8 minutes for the boot to pack out from pressure. To acheive this simply stand in place and drive your knees towards the gorund to simulate the riding experience. It is okay if the boot seems just a little too small. Remember that the tightest the boot will ever be is when you first put it on. The boot will only get bigger from that point on. After about 5-8 minutes, put the other boot on and you should immediately notice that the first boot is roomier than the second. This will simply further show you how much bigger the boots will become. Now with your feet about shoulder width apart and knees just slightly bent TO THE NATURAL ANGLE OF THE BACK OF THE BOOT, your toes should be barely grazing the fronts of the liners. This is considered to be the standing position in boots. Next, bend your knees further until you are in your snowboarding stance. Your toes will come back a little and should now be just slightly away from the liner fronts.