Ripzalot
03-22-2004, 04:04 AM
Resort: Chamonix (Grand Montets), France
Date: 3/20/2004
Temp: +6C
Wind: Light
Snow: Spring
Sun: Variable

Another Swiss weekend - after a week of beautiful bluebird skies, a cloudy and rainy weekend. Temps still warm here so nothing but sloppy spring skiing to be found. The trick was to avoid the rain. A morning radar check showed rain at all my local usuals, so I decided to head to Chamonix and shop around for some skis. I found what I was looking for in a shop in Argentiere, some atomic 180s w/freeride bindings, and took them out on a demo. Thinking that it would all just click again (my last time on skis was 10 years or so ago), I go straight to the top of the Grand Montets for my first run. Needless to say it was a humbling experience! After two exhausting top to bottom runs, I bail the skis for my snowboard and go from newbie skier to expert boarder and proceed to rip the sh*t outta the perfect spring conditions. A good day.

NoKnees
03-22-2004, 09:16 AM
Sorry to hear the skiing didn't work out. Guess it's not all in the skis then, hunh?

As for the conditions, looks like Tahoe... Well, don't know about that big sloppy looking wet slide. I'm sure Tahoe has some of those at the lower elevations, just haven't seen them... :) No rain to ruin the snow. Just lots of sunshine..

As for Grand Montets.. That was still one of my favorite areas over at Cham... Nice constant pitch, great views... Ah, memories.. Drinking a cool shandy or what'ev the call their bass and lemonade mixed drink after a sunny day on the slopes...

elex
03-22-2004, 09:30 AM
I call a bass(ale) & lemonade a urine sample.Anything in the sun is good,shade is ice. At lleast it's cloudy,hopefully we get a little somethin somethin.I'm keeping my ovaries crossed.Nice pics Ripzalot,still good coverage out there.
urinE

canuck
03-22-2004, 10:05 AM
and I call it a waste of a perfectly good beer....bass ale = yum

NoKnees
03-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Don't knock it 'til ya try it... The local guides swore by it as a first round rehydration beverage after a hard day. The real drinking quickly followed...

SwissBuster
03-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Ah, memories.. Drinking a cool shandy or what'ev the call their bass and lemonade mixed drink after a sunny day on the slopes...

Panaché, unless they were refering to the size in which case it could be a Fantastique, a Formidable or any number of local slang expressions. Not that I know anything about beer consumption...

NoKnees
03-23-2004, 10:40 AM
That could be it... My memory fades these days... All I remember is it went down a bit smoother than straight bass would have. Hit the spot...

canuck
03-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Well, whatever you call it it still spells one word:

GAY!

-sorry, having a Transworld moment here
;)

NoKnees
03-23-2004, 02:20 PM
Great Alcohol, Yeah!!!!! Looked for the Howard Dean mp3 for the "Yeah!" part of that but seem to have missplaced it...

Anyway, um, yah... Transworld RULZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!