PDA

View Full Version : TV geeks?

canuck
03-19-2004, 11:01 AM
would like a 30 inch flat (likely LCD?) TV but the Sharp Aquos are super expensive it seems. Can almost get the 43 inch DLP Samsung for the same price...

what would you do?

Tantrum
03-19-2004, 11:43 AM
at least that is what Mrs. T always says.:p

MARK
03-19-2004, 02:45 PM
would like a 30 inch flat (likely LCD?) TV but the Sharp Aquos are super expensive it seems. Can almost get the 43 inch DLP Samsung for the same price...

what would you do?
Trust me(and RonB) on this, GET THE SAMSUNG DLP! It is the best television on the market for the $. Better color contrasting(compare black coloring) than plasma, LCD, etc., less than plasma for what it is, no danger of bad pixels, no need to align guns, etc. I have heard recently that the 50" is available through Amazon for $2999 US, but generaly is arounf $3700 US at stores. Usually an extra $500 US bumps you from the 43" to the 50" and then up to the 60" range(61"?). After doing a lot of research and speaking extensively with friends that sell televisions it became obvious to me, which is why I got the 80lb, 50". Out of seven peeps every one of them said that the Samsung was the only choice, especially for HD viewing. Apparently the new 60" RCA for the same price can't even compare to the Samsung. Samsungs with the all one color grey front are the newer ones, not the older two tone models. No matter what the choice for a large television, go for one that has a DVI port for the future(the Samsumng also has a PC port among it's 13-something various rear ports).

NoKnees
03-19-2004, 03:48 PM
Good info Mark... Oh, and I'll second the comment on the DVI port for future upgrades. As is, any new computer video card worth it's weight has a DVI port as well as the standard PC-VGA port. The DVI is far supperior in quality over a standard analog PC port.. (Keep this in mind with LCD monitors for computers as well)

Anyway, wish I could buy a toy like that. Guess I need a job.. Oh well... Anyone want to trade my 48" Mistubishi Rear Projection TV for a small HD TV? Anyone? It's in great shape! ;)

MARK
03-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Good info Mark... Oh, and I'll second the comment on the DVI port for future upgrades. As is, any new computer video card worth it's weight has a DVI port as well as the standard PC-VGA port. The DVI is far supperior in quality over a standard analog PC port.. (Keep this in mind with LCD monitors for computers as well)

Anyway, wish I could buy a toy like that. Guess I need a job.. Oh well... Anyone want to trade my 48" Mistubishi Rear Projection TV for a small HD TV? Anyone? It's in great shape! ;)
I've actually also got a dedicated game emulation computer hooked up to it(in my board museum of a basement :rolleyes: ) also. Imagine chilling on the leather couch while having over 6,000 arcade and nintendo games at your fingertips via an arcade two player console. Sad part is that I'm not even much of a game geek. Sorry, had to rub it in :p

LazyL
03-19-2004, 06:35 PM
I've actually also got a dedicated game emulation computer hooked up to it(in my board museum of a basement :rolleyes: ) also. Imagine chilling on the leather couch while having over 6,000 arcade and nintendo games at your fingertips via an arcade two player console. Sad part is that I'm not even much of a game geek. Sorry, had to rub it in :p

Who's with me on this one? ATB-ing...soaking under the stars in the jacuzzi (we can rent one if you don't have one installed quite yet)...ditto with the MoonBounce tent....MineSweeper on the big screen...booyeah!

Your lady-love wouldn't mind, would she? :D

Your house sounds FUN.

MARK
03-19-2004, 11:42 PM
Who's with me on this one? ATB-ing...soaking under the stars in the jacuzzi (we can rent one if you don't have one installed quite yet)...ditto with the MoonBounce tent....MineSweeper on the big screen...booyeah!

Your lady-love wouldn't mind, would she? :D

Your house sounds FUN.
No jacuzzi at the new house, but I am building a fish pond if that will suffice :D I'll have up a 15ft trampoline, 20ft rail, etc. in the spring, but we could have a different kind of workout if you like...in the gym I built that is ;)

canuck
03-22-2004, 03:52 PM
that's not really your gym right?

Thanks for the info on the DLP's, if I can fit the 43 incher into my living room I might go for it....the room is only 15 by 12 or so however. The Samsung 43inch is $3,000 Cdn, not bad in comparison to plasmas and lcds.

MARK
03-22-2004, 05:31 PM
that's not really your gym right?

Thanks for the info on the DLP's, if I can fit the 43 incher into my living room I might go for it....the room is only 15 by 12 or so however. The Samsung 43inch is $3,000 Cdn, not bad in comparison to plasmas and lcds.

Yeah, that actually is the gym I built at my house. That is also actually my evil eye in the left hand corner here as well :D Even stranger is that in the room next to it I really do have a board museum too :o Hehe...

Fitting a 43" in that size of a room won't be an issue. I wouldn't go any smaller in your situation. Do it right the first time...