PDA

View Full Version : Yoga

Firecracker
03-18-2004, 11:00 PM
I just started some basic yoga classes at my gym, and absolutely love it.

Any other yoga people? Things I should know? Any advice?

I'm kind of into it for everything--muscle tone, flexibility, balance, relaxation, etc.

canuck
03-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Yoga shmoga

too trendy out here on the coast, I'm sticking with my dancercize classes

:cool:

canuck
03-19-2004, 09:08 AM
If you can last through this entire intro you will know why I avoid yoga:

http://www.lululemon.com/intro.html

LazyL
03-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Yoga shmoga

too trendy out here on the coast, I'm sticking with my dancercize classes

:cool:

You've forgotten The Tofino Incident, eh? ;)

LazyL
03-19-2004, 09:30 AM
I just started some basic yoga classes at my gym, and absolutely love it.

Any other yoga people? Things I should know? Any advice?

I'm kind of into it for everything--muscle tone, flexibility, balance, relaxation, etc.

...the resulting saltwater sinus drain might interfere with your pranayama. ;)

Yeah, I dig yoga, too. Feels great, eh?

I guess the only advice I'd give is to keep on eye on yourself and ease into it...it's good stuff, but you can seriously tweak yourself. I think some people think of it as being, Ahhh, a gentle ancient touchy-feelie mystical-magical thing, and are lulled into thinking you can't hurt yourself. A chiro acquaintance of mine has a steady clientele of injured yoga people.

CanariaChick
03-19-2004, 12:31 PM
As the Adrenaline junkie that I am, for years I scoffed at yoga thinking it was too slow/cheesy for me, and funny things is, after I tried it, I realized it provided an additional key element in the training.

Boarding is half ability and half mental, and yoga helps out in both areas: Ability, it enhances flexibility, strength and can help reduce the impact of injury; Mental, it improves focus, relaxation and visualization. It may seem totally unrelated, but I learned to slide rails (nailing rainbow rails and double kinked, at first try) using mental techniques I learned from yoga. Funny, huh? Not to mention, that with with the current chaotic state of affairs in the world right now, to maintain a semi-healthy mind, one must slow down every now and then, to remember the importance of breathing, and the fact that we are here to enjoy that breath. Cheesy, or not cheesy, it works for me! Let us know how it works for you in the long run... and LL, that picture is hillarious! That's where I draw the line, splits... they make my skin crawl like nails on chalkboard!

NoKnees
03-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Well, I haven't gotten into yoga yet. Closest I've come is Windsor Pilates for now. A bit of the breathing and just core body stuff. As my flexibility comes around I might consider yoga. The one time I did try it a while back I did tweak something so I'm not in a hurry to jump back into it until I know my body will be more cooperative in the effort..