PDA

View Full Version : whats the best binding??

frog
03-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi all i would like everyones opinion on which is the best binding on the market.
Drake, Ride, Flow, Burton etc

Reverend SC
03-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Hi all i would like everyones opinion on which is the best binding on the market.

IMO, it's Ride. I like Drake, I've had several models, but I got tired of the flexibility of the baseplate. Ride uses aluminum baseplates, gives great response, and I'm happy with both sets I currently have, the SPi, and the LX.

But much of this depends on your personal preference, riding style, and the type of riding you do.

Although I've never used them, I've heard Flows don't perform as well as you'd like. The easyin/easy out feature is cool, but not cool enough to outweight the negatives, like the boot lifting from the baseplate and the general slushyness of the ride.

canuck
03-16-2004, 03:51 PM
I've got 2 pairs of Ride Teams (last year's were way better IMO) and they're a pretty solid binding. No performance issues to date...

Limited experience with other bindings except i did a stint with Burton step-ins (not bad at all) and old switch si's (not good at all).

NoKnees
03-17-2004, 09:39 AM
There is no single best answer to that question. But, having said that, I like Rides...

If weight is not a concern, and all the dampening and fitment adjustments are, go with the SPi's or the Teams... Very solid fit and feel..

If you prefer something light weight, and general fit isn't a problem, go with the LX or EX models. Simple and not very expensive.

If you want the best balance between weight and performance and you ride hard, go with the Flight series.. Mig or Tomcats... Migs are really stiff, Tomcats are a just right.. Now if I can find some in my price range...

And Flows have come a long way. They aren't the same flimsy bindings they first started with. If you stick with the Pro line, you'll be quite pleased. Just expect to pay more for these and take a little extra time getting the fitment just right. If you set it up correctly, they are as solid as most of the better strap bindings.. But, if you don't take the time to adjust them, they will suck worse than any conventional strap binding. Be warned....

Having said all that, if you are a lighter weight rider that just cruises, the quality of the binding doesn't matter quite as much. A lot of the differences between low to mid market bindings vs their expensive counterparts don't come out after just a couple mellow cruiser runs. A full day of pounding, twisting, sketchy landings, hard carves and soft grabby snow tend to show the flaws or benefits of any given setup. Never judge anything on a perfect snow day... (unless it's a big powder board designed just for that perfect snow day)

okay.. had too much espresso this morning.. sorry to ramble so long...

frog
03-19-2004, 12:00 AM

at the moment i'm using drake mtx and there seem good, i am gettuing a new board and thought maybe some new bindings so i can sell the old package complete, i'm about 220 lbs, and getting a ride yukon 04/05 next month. i had a friend with ride bindings and they seem to get stuck really easy and don't come undone without a lot of preasure appling, never had that problem with drakes????

NoKnees
03-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Not likely to have that problem with any of the newer rides out there as well. Never was a big problem, but they did update the ratchet system last year and it seems to have helped even further. Dunno, I've had good and bad ratchets with every binding out there. Ride's worked for me lately, so I'm happy with that..

My thoughts are, if you have something you like, stick with it. If the drakes are working for yah, why risk it?

frog
03-20-2004, 10:44 PM
Not likely to have that problem with any of the newer rides out there as well. Never was a big problem, but they did update the ratchet system last year and it seems to have helped even further. Dunno, I've had good and bad ratchets with every binding out there. Ride's worked for me lately, so I'm happy with that..

My thoughts are, if you have something you like, stick with it. If the drakes are working for yah, why risk it?

I'm using drake mtx, but i'm looking at maybe the ride mig, to go onto a new ride yukon 04/05, i am undersided on the drake limited or the ride mig, both look fansastic on paper, but i can get the mig at a better price.

frog
03-21-2004, 09:15 PM
is mark around??? i was hoping he could give me his opinion on bindings etc, and why doesn't anyone else post what they use, i'm trying to get a wide range of people.

Kevbeau
03-23-2004, 12:46 PM
I've owned Switch, Drake and Ride bindings and have had Burton and Technines on demo boards. Currently have '03 Ride SPi's and the are by far the best performing bindings I've ridden. They have best construction quality of anything I've used and their ratchet system is top notch. Yes they're heavy, but I like hard freeriding and they can take the abuse.

The second best bindings I've owned were Drake F60's. Good binding for the price, but I wanted to move towards an aluminum baseplate.

frog
03-23-2004, 06:09 PM
so the new ride flight mig should be ok then???? thanks for all your opinions guys

MARK
03-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Binding selection depends largely on preference and boot compatibilty, but I will break it down in quick, GENERAL selection terminology.

Choose a less forgiving(won't flex as much), quicker reacting aluminum baseplate binding if you are one or more of the following:
1)an experienced or powerful freerider wanting quick reaction
2)a heavyweight(experienced or not necessarily with a lot of experience) over around 200lbs

Choose a more forgiving(flexes more), slightly slower reacting "composite"(plastic) baseplate binding if you are one or more of the following:
1)a freestyler wanting forgiveness on landings(especially when off balance)
2)a lighter weight rider(especially a child) whom is either a beginner or not a powerful freerider

I mainly prefer to use composite baseplate bindings, but do use aluminum sometimes if I am mainly carving that day.