PDA

View Full Version : Fun old article knocking Telemarking...

NoKnees
03-10-2004, 11:55 AM
And old article from 2002 that I had forgotten about.. Ya'll might like it for a few giggles..

Article (http://www.descender.com/content02/hatetelemark.html)

Oh, and a fun photo from over at BigLines.com... Reminds me of one time I followed a couple skiers thinking that if they know a way down, I'll be able to follow them.. Photo from LaGrave...apply named place with some of the slopes around it..

http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic20209.jpg

suechick
03-10-2004, 04:02 PM
"silly pins" has now entered my lexicon. Thank you Greg !

LazyL
03-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Intense photo. Uffftah.

You should know better than to follow skiers, my friend. Next time, find some snowbladers, and tail them down. ;)

Funny article, too! Laughed at the Women's Studies reference. Oh, my scary Santa Cruz past -- !!

Ripzalot
03-11-2004, 12:49 AM
And old article from 2002 that I had forgotten about.. Ya'll might like it for a few giggles..

Article (http://www.descender.com/content02/hatetelemark.html)

Oh, and a fun photo from over at BigLines.com... Reminds me of one time I followed a couple skiers thinking that if they know a way down, I'll be able to follow them.. Photo from LaGrave...apply named place with some of the slopes around it..

awesome picture! brings back memories of those couliours. damn, that is a steep one. must be one of the triffides. i think that one is definitely ASTIL (as steep as it looks).

regarding the telemark article - i've often wondered why myself. my buddy Al is a telemarker and the only answer i get from him is that he likes it because it's more exercise. then again he's the kind of person who bikes in the summer uphill only. pure masochist. but having rideen with him a lot, i see a lot of advantages. much faster and much more control in many situations. he is blazingly fast onpiste. in the steeps or bumps he's like a mountain goat. about the only times he's at a disadvantage is in the trees (skis tend to get hung up) or while jumping. telemarkers look pretty silly in the air!

Tantrum
03-11-2004, 07:37 AM
Is that a daffy with a bird wing flap?:D

Ripzalot
03-11-2004, 08:46 AM
Is that a daffy with a bird wing flap?:D

LOL!

now you see why i left that one out from my previous trip report. but he landed it, and proceeded to rip the **** outta the rest of the mountain.

Tantrum
03-11-2004, 09:42 AM
We are very un-photogenic while in mid-air. I usually blame it on the photographer. Yeah, that's it.:D

suechick
03-11-2004, 07:13 PM
for an hour almost. On a ridge at Vallee Blanche. Stupid dumb ass cat track. Up and incline and ran out onto a ledge pretty near the width shown that guy is standing on with a marginally less steep face. All I know is that when I got tired from standing there after about 30 mins, I just had to lean over to the left slightly and I could rest my entire body length against the side. Ian and I learned exactly WHY nobody else was doing that particular approach on snowboards.

Cat tracks suck.

Cat tracks where you lose momentum up an incline on very gnarly mountiain in Chamonix, get stuck on an 18" against a very steep face in blindingly bright/hot alpine conditions for minutes on end until your guide comes back to get you, suck most of all.