PDA

View Full Version : Strength of inserts after tapping to 1/4-28?

Downhill Jaxon
03-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Is there anyone here that's really familiar with inserts that knows about how much material(percentage wise) is taken away after they are tapped to 1/4-28 during a repair? Is it significant?

NoKnees
03-06-2004, 04:52 PM
E will be your man on this one... Had an insert in my hand last time I was up there, but don't know the numbers enough to know what the starting size/thread count was to know how significant of a change that is..

Yo E!

Downhill Jaxon
03-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Right on Greg. Hey, are they doing the slalom race in the gully at Kirkwood again this year?

elex
03-07-2004, 05:13 PM
The outside(beginning of taper) diameter is a 1/4",the actual diameter of insert is .375".So you have a 1/16th of an inch of room.Which should be plenty of room & the strength shouldn't be affected,since that's a fine threaded screw.Lots of mass produced boards get countersunk too far anyways,so it might even be an improvement.Stainless steel is soft drillbits & bolts are not.Hope this helps & I hope the guy working on the board knows what he's doing.
later,
e

Downhill Jaxon
03-07-2004, 06:42 PM
Right on, thanks E. I appreciate the insight. I'm not sure why, but I got two factory new boards (Volkls) with really screwed up inserts. The only way to save them was to go to a 1/4-28. The boards must have been factory seconds.

NoKnees
03-08-2004, 10:36 AM
I think so.. I haven't checked to see what the dates are yet.. I think if E's around he'll be doing it as well. I need to redeem myself after my less than stellar performance last year.

Hot tip: Never make any drastic changes to your setup on race day. Duh!

Will you be there? And... Are the Volkls alpine, bx or what? Always dug their bx decks...

Downhill Jaxon
03-08-2004, 08:35 PM
I should be there just to watch. If so I'll try to take my camera and get some action shots.

The Volkls are two Renntigers (GS) I bought from last year's stock, they both had weird insert problems. Most of them had distorted threads, where the screws couldn't be threaded in morre than 4 turns or so, even thought you could tell they were tapped about 7 turns. Some were OK, but about half of them had to be chased with a bottoming tap. And on each board, one was so screwed up it had to go up to 1/4-28.

I don't think I'm buying any more Volkls. They do ride nice though.

I've ordered up some longer screws that'll tighten within about one turn of bottom, that usually fixes all of my screw problems.

Hey E, if you're still around, I'm curious what you meant by "taper", I've never seen an insert out of the board, so I don't know what the shape is.

elex
03-09-2004, 09:41 AM
The taper is actually just a countersink that they cut into the top of the insert by the insert manufacturer.Just helps get the screw in easier.Then the board maker drills out the top of the inserts & sometimes they push the bit too far & take some of the threads,actually very common.I would say the worst job in the factory is to drill out the inserts.I can't imagine drilling out 6000+ inserts in a day.By the way the machine that makes inserts is freakin massive.I have some Chinese inserts,very scary.I'm suprised that voykl had a problem with inserts,probably why they're 2nd's(should be 3rd's).I'm planning on doing the kirkwood race.See you there.

NoKnees
03-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Looks like April 10th is the day for the Not So Famous Banked Slalom... The weekend after the Freeride Contest over in the Cirque... This year I guess they'll have a DJ spinning up top.. That'd be cool. Lot of sitting around waiting time usually...

elex
03-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Are you thinking about doing the Freeride contest?Could be fun,depends on the snow situation.I'm thinking switch runs down the cirque on a st or maybe not.Seriously, this is the only time to ride the cirque(legally).

NoKnees
03-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Tempting, but I might have to pass. Especially with the lack of health insurance currently... If the snow is great, it might be fun though. Who cares how you place, just get to ride some lines that you'd never normally get to... Ah well..

Oh, and the 4807 showed up. One word, POWDER. I didn't realize the nose was spooned as much as it is... Kinda cool... The tail however looks even less forgiving than my Prior Split ST for switch riding... Definitely still plenty of room on the market for the E-Swallows..

elex
03-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Tempting, but I might have to pass. Especially with the lack of health insurance currently... If the snow is great, it might be fun though. Who cares how you place, just get to ride some lines that you'd never normally get to... Ah well..

Oh, and the 4807 showed up. One word, POWDER. I didn't realize the nose was spooned as much as it is... Kinda cool... The tail however looks even less forgiving than my Prior Split ST for switch riding... Definitely still plenty of room on the market for the E-Swallows..

Don't know if I like that name.I was thinking st with a forgiving NK Rear.I've seen those noses before,did I ever show you that nose attachment from Ride?Similar idea.I'm trying to get this board built,but I'm stuck on something on my press,can't figure it out.It's really starting to piss me off.I might be out of town for the freeride contest anyways,would be fun just to do,not to compete.Too many people with health insurance out there that can handle 60' to flat.

elex
03-10-2004, 02:02 PM
stiff NK tail that goes both ways

NoKnees
03-10-2004, 03:49 PM
There you go.. Much better... I still like my original name for your boards.. Ah well..

I'll have to bring that board up there so you can check it out... I laid it out with my Prior 172 for comparison and it's definitely a little different. The O-Sin has a shorter tail and longer nose. Effective edge is close to the same. O-Sin has a slightly tighter sidecut, leaving the waist a tad narrower, but nose and tail are similar widths.. Haven't compared stiffness much yet, but first flex shows the O-Sin quite a bit stiffer on all axis'.. That'll be nice when returning to the piste after some nice powder excursions... Not sure how I'll like the shorter tail for landing drops though... Just have to wait and see...