PDA

View Full Version : Powder Problems: Technique of Equipment?

Reverend SC
03-01-2004, 09:36 AM
I had some big-time pow issues the weekend. This is new, generally, powder is my friend. But the deepest I've been in is 1-2 feet, because of work, I have to take whatever Saturday gives me, and it's never given me this much fresh. 4-5 feet on the backside of Donner, I've never ridden that deep on a snowboard.

Here's the dealio; I left the groomer, hit the transition to the powder field (about 1-2 feet of chuncks), flew into the pow everything was fine. Got my weight back and started gliding. Then got a little wobbly and before I knew it, my nose was burried and I pitched to the heelside and went down in a flat area. You know what happened next, so I don't need to describe the flopping and cussing, right?

I'm about 170, my board is a 157. I wear a size 10, the board's waist is 25.9. Mellow sidecut, 8.75, nose and tail are 30.9.

So, it the board too short, too narrow, or do I just need more skills?

Coldcat
03-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Damn those cursed english metric systems! how much is four to five feet of fresh? Should I drool over that?

All I can think of is: What position are your bindings in? It seems you ride centered? When going deep, set your bindings back as far as they can go, or, if money is not that much of an issue, get yourself a bigger pow board, I am thinking something like 163? I don't know how much you weigh, but I am 168 cms long, weigh 66 kilo's, and ride a 157. Wich is just perfect for me to change from piste to even quite deep pow without having to set my bindings back, but it might be just a bit too short for you?

waist size should not affect powder abilities. It's a long nose you need. To ride with set back elongates the nose and puts your weight more on the tail, so that should already make a difference.

Do not forget to change back when hitting the park. Jumping feels quite different in a set back when you're used to a centered stance.

Reverend SC
03-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Damn those cursed english metric systems! how much is four to five feet of fresh? Should I drool over that?

All I can think of is: What position are your bindings in? It seems you ride centered? When going deep, set your bindings back as far as they can go, or, if money is not that much of an issue, get yourself a bigger pow board, I am thinking something like 163? I don't know how much you weigh, but I am 168 cms long, weigh 66 kilo's, and ride a 157. Wich is just perfect for me to change from piste to even quite deep pow without having to set my bindings back, but it might be just a bit too short for you?

waist size should not affect powder abilities. It's a long nose you need. To ride with set back elongates the nose and puts your weight more on the tail, so that should already make a difference.

Do not forget to change back when hitting the park. Jumping feels quite different in a set back when you're used to a centered stance.

Forgot to mention, I have my bindings set all the way back.

One other difference Saturday, I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it, I had on my highback pack on my rear binding. Do you think maybe when my back foot sank, the pack created drag, which slowed me down, which caused to nose to dip. Sounds like I'm reaching though....

I'm thinking either longer board, or just more practice.

Reverend SC
03-01-2004, 11:49 AM
And money isn't really an issue if I thought I could buy my way out of this problem. My wife told me earlier this year that I'm due for a new board anyway (salivating). But I don't like to solve a problem just by throwing money at it unless I can nail down the cause and remedy it correctly.

Plus, getting better is always cheaper...

MARK
03-01-2004, 02:39 PM
In this scenario it very likely is the board length. A 157 for you in that kind of pow(or even 2 feet for that matter) isn't very long at all.

Reverend SC
03-01-2004, 02:53 PM
In this scenario it very likely is the board length. A 157 for you in that kind of pow(or even 2 feet for that matter) isn't very long at all.

Sweet, so a new board is in order? I love you, man!

Reverend SC
03-01-2004, 04:17 PM
What would you suggest as far as length. I have another 157 that I use for everyday riding, so this would be a pure dedicated powder board. Any suggestions on length?

HomerSimpson
03-01-2004, 08:31 PM
I'm very similar in size to you. I ride a 155 directional/freestyle board normally. On powder days, I ride my other board, a Nitro Natural and the length is 160. I would stick w/ something over 160. Happy shopping! :D

elex
03-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Swallowtail,the only way to ride powder

Coldcat
03-02-2004, 01:05 AM
hah! yeah, thats pretty hardcore.

Most swallowtails are around 170 But a board over 160/162 should also do nicely, I think. Remember that even though a board is long, it isn't necesairily harder to turn. Stifness, running edge and sidecut are just as important for the feel of a board. Best thing to do is to demo a couple of boards, after you've drooled over the catalogues of course.
Wish you happy shopping!

Maybe the toolbox did create some ickle little drag, but if you're going at any speed above sluggish, that should not be a problem.

beez
03-02-2004, 07:50 AM
I had some big-time pow issues the weekend. This is new, generally, powder is my friend. But the deepest I've been in is 1-2 feet, because of work, I have to take whatever Saturday gives me, and it's never given me this much fresh. 4-5 feet on the backside of Donner, I've never ridden that deep on a snowboard.

Here's the dealio; I left the groomer, hit the transition to the powder field (about 1-2 feet of chuncks), flew into the pow everything was fine. Got my weight back and started gliding. Then got a little wobbly and before I knew it, my nose was burried and I pitched to the heelside and went down in a flat area. You know what happened next, so I don't need to describe the flopping and cussing, right?

I'm about 170, my board is a 157. I wear a size 10, the board's waist is 25.9. Mellow sidecut, 8.75, nose and tail are 30.9.

So, it the board too short, too narrow, or do I just need more skills?

I would definately go bigger. I am 155 and ride a 164 as my everyday board, 168 for powder. And in deep powder you definately have to concentrate on keeping that weight back and nose up at all costs, and kind of never losing speed. I'm not good at describing it. But it will come after a few times of deep pow. And we've all been there, digging ourselves out, saying every swear word we can think of and even making up a few, sweating like a pig. But after you get going again, the first 2 turns, and all the troubles are forgotten.

elex
03-02-2004, 08:11 AM
I got 2 of them,the shorter one is a 164,based off a 170 or so board length.Except for riding switch in the pow,you can carve,drop chutes,moguls without issues.Or I guess someone good try & get a little longer board with a little longer nose & miss out on how powder really feels.
e

Reverend SC
03-02-2004, 08:44 AM
Hmmmm, Lib's Snow Mullet is coming out next year, that 170 is looking tasty. A little wide for me though.

Oh this will be fun.

Thanks guys...

MARK
03-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Do it NOW, you know you want to :D

Reverend SC
03-02-2004, 12:16 PM
Do it NOW, you know you want to :D

I really, really want to. But I don't have your email because I'm a loser. Make me a winner, MARK, give me your email.

lol...

MARK
03-02-2004, 12:25 PM
I really, really want to. But I don't have your email because I'm a loser. Make me a winner, MARK, give me your email.

lol...
marktoms@mindspring.com

NoKnees
03-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Second vote for a swallowtail... But hey, I'm biased.. I was riding one with E last Friday when the 5+ feet was still fresh.. ;) Once you've tried one in those conditions, nothing else will do.

And how's this. Even a bad swallowtail is better than any undersized board in big powder..

Anyway, I'm waiting 'til master craftsman E finishes fine tuning his design... Should be sweet....

canuck
03-03-2004, 03:41 PM
hmmm ... I'd like a swallowtail too!

-in the meantime, I'm 150 pounds and ride a 168 on powder days...158 rest o' the time.

In 4 - 5 feet I'd move the bindings right back, have most of my weight on the rear leg and let out very loud "whoops" as I blasted by you as you postholed out!!

:cool:

elex
03-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Greg & I don't have to lean back.We get to make turns while everybody else is trying to keep their nose above the pow by going straight & slower.Once you go st you never go back.Say no to fishes & mullets.
e

NoKnees
03-04-2004, 08:35 AM
Oops, I did it again... I bought a new board I really didn't need... So one of the 178 O-Sin's is on it's way to my place in a week or so. Guess that means Tahoe won't get another big dump of powder this season. Sorry all...

Honestly though, it makes more sense than dragging my heavyweight Prior Split ST out for resort riding. No need to keep abusing that board at the resorts when I can have something a bit more built for the purpose to abuse.

I think I need help. Can't stop collecting boards... It'd be fine if I had a job... Sad days..

elex
03-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Were you the only one to bid on it?Price had to be good.Why don't you drive far north, that should make it snow here.Actually,I think I'm going to Big Mtn at the end of march,then to the parents house.My mom needs a little help after her sex change or is it my dad.

canuck
03-04-2004, 12:56 PM
Isn't Big Mtn in montana, and aren't your parents on the Coast?

just checking

canuck
03-04-2004, 01:09 PM
So if I WAS in the market for a ST, how do I choose length (read: "is the 168 O'sin I just bid on too short for me?)

NoKnees
03-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Naw, I bet the 168 will be fine for you. Especially for the snow we get on the west side most of the time... The set back stance and tail make it act like a longer board than it is for floatation, yet the shorter tail length still keeps it nimble enough for the trees. In good powder you'll find it floats better than your big board, yet turns quicker. Just don't try to do any cute 180's in powder... Just doesn't quite work... Trust me...

Reverend SC
03-04-2004, 04:15 PM
I'm so glad you all are now benifitting from my follies. Now, can one of you please loan me 100 bucks?

Or Greg, you still want to get hitched on the mountain to get that insurance? Coincidentally, my fee is exactly 1 O-Sin swallowtail.

j/k...

elex
03-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Isn't Big Mtn in montana, and aren't your parents on the Coast?

just checking
It's all north too me.My friend just had a kid,well his wife did at least.So I need to check out his kid,make sure he doesn't look like me.Plus it's a nice drive,fun hill & my buddy is one of the best freeriders to strap on a shred sled.Then head to Seattle to see mommy & daddy or daddy & daddy.Then maybe to San Fran for another interview with a company that won't hire me.Actually,I rather be self unemployed in Tahoe.
I would say a 168 would do fine in BC.I'm on a 164 or so st,with actually a small nose & the stance only goes back 1".That did fine for me,the next one will be a little more like a standard st.