PDA

View Full Version : Numb Toes with Burton Step-Ins

snow_angel250
12-23-2005, 02:52 PM
This is my second year snowboarding and second year dealing with the constant pain from my boots/bindings. I have Burton Custom SI Step in bindings. I love the ease and the overall performance is pretty good. The main problem is after wearing my boots for even a half hour my pinky toes go numb and hurt to the point where i constantly am taking off my boots between runs. Last year I had a size six and I had this same problem, this year I bought size 6.5 thinking the 6's were too small...but the problem still persists. I just got back from my first day of snowboarding this season yesterday and still had the problem and almost 24 hours later, those toes still are tingly. It's never lasted this long. I'm debating whether or not to buy new bindings, and thinking about flow. I guess I'm asking if the problem is with my foot or the bindings or boots... and whether I should salvage what I have or try a new set up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

NoKnees
12-23-2005, 04:28 PM
Most likely it's the boots.. With the SI's, the bindings themselves shouldn't be causing pressure points like straps do. Most likely it's the cut of the boot compared to the shape of your foot. I'm assuming you went with the same boot, just a half size larger, right? If not, them my theory is out...

Anyway, try keeping the lower part of your boot laced a little looser if you can. Many new models of standard strap binding based boots allow you to tighten the bottom half of your laces different than the top. This would allow for loose/more room down below your arch, where you are likely to be causing the problem, and firmer ankle on up where you need it tighter for support.

Wish I had more specific advice, but boot fit is tough. If you do try different boots, make sure you try different manufacturers, not just different models within the same line. Quite often they all work from a similar foot shape and that doesn't help ya if there is a fundamental design problem.

Good luck.

RydeorDie
01-08-2006, 08:35 AM
they would work with flows the 32 nui boas work well and are only like 125bucks

MARK
01-08-2006, 05:10 PM
As Noknees has said it is most likely the cut of the boot's toe box being too narrow. Possible ways to address this first would be to add an arch support in place of the existing insole. The foot often tends to be slightly more narrow when the arch is fully supported. A thin heel lift under the current insole may also bring the foot back slightly enough where the boot will still fit well and the pinky is then not pressed as much. Another option is too thin out the liner in the toe box area where the pressure is. The less material in that area, the more room you will have. By the way, Burton isn't going forward with their step-in line in the future.