PDA

View Full Version : Ride Timeless v.s. Burton Triumph

p. toast
12-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Now I got the width thing figured out (thanks Mark). My final big question is: What about Ride Timeless vs Burton Triumph. Are these two totally different boards for different conditions and uses? I'm sure Triumph probably is better for powder with tapered shape and maybe long carves on groomers but does Timeless do o.k in these departments also? I assume Timeless is more versatile which would be a good thing but does it stand up o.k in backcountry conditions? And which would do better in carved up sierra off piste crud and icy patches that I see too much of?

My heart is in the backcountry powder but I'm not going heli-boarding every day either.

Thanks for any help in this agonizing process of choosing which board to drop $$$ on.

P. Toast

NoKnees
12-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Good questions Toast... I've been riding a Timeless for 4+ years now in the Tahoe area. I'm 95% freeride, exploring the off-piste... Trees, steeps, chutes, powder, and then the occasional high speed carving bombing down groomers... The timeless does it all just fine. The best thing about it is that no matter how much I've abused it, it has the same solid feel as when I first bought it. That's stiff, with total edge hold. I'm 200lbs and not always the smoothest rider, I tend to stress my boards a bit...

Now, the Burton's specs look pretty nice too, but... well, I'm still waiting to hear about a board that truly does hold up to a lot of use/abuse when it comes to the flex department. I'd love to hear they finally have something figured out with their "Infinite Ride" stuff, but I just haven't heard anything to back that yet. But, if you are only planning on getting a couple seasons out of it, and you aren't logging 50+ days a year, I'm sure it'll be just fine...

So, it'll come down to the stiffness/flex pattern and intended lifespan. Both will float you fine, both "should" hold an edge fine, and both have similar sidecuts and should respond similarily on and off piste... Do you like taper? Ever ride switch? Questions to ask yourself as Burton has a little taper which makes switch a little different, twitchy, etc, but both truly are directional and not ideal for the odd wrong way rides...

Anyway, any else have some input on the Triumph? Seems like a worthy board replacing their old BMC...

p. toast
12-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Thats the answer I was hoping to hear. I found an 04' Timeless from REI for $350.00 and am really leaning that way now with all the good things I've heard about the board. Endless good reviews out there from people who seem to be using it for what I like to do, in the trees, off the trail, bombing some groomers and generally going as steep as I can find. I never ride switch, rarely go in the park/pipe and use a pretty high stance angle. I just had this nagging fear that it is just another "all mountain" softy that would chatter and pop out of turns at high speed. I experienced that with the Arbor Element and went to the Arbor A-Frame 166 which was a big improvement then lost that in a vehicle fire and now thinking the Timeless 164 will be a good replacement with a bit more width, maybe a bit more versatile. I have never used a board with taper and I guess that was my main concern, should I have a board with taper for what I do? I know other design features are involved in how a board rides and you really just have to get on it and see what's up on the mountain. Seems that my chances of success will be good with the Timeless. My main concern is that it holds a good edge at speed. What size Timeless do you ride at 200 lbs. I weigh 175. I do have one further question about the new Timeless 05-06. According to Ride specs and what I can find about the 04' Timeless, the sidecut has gone from Bi-radial to quadratic, does that mean anything?

Thanks,

P.Toast, hoping for some snow! :rolleyes:

MARK
12-05-2005, 10:02 PM
The '04 in a 164 should be fine for you. Just to make sure the year is right on your end, the 03/04 164cm was white with a horned orge looking beast in the middle of the topsheet.

NoKnees
12-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Honestly, I don't know the way to explain the difference between bi-radial and quad, I know big E has explained this in the past to me, but I guess I wasn't paying attention to him again...

Anyway, I have a 167 Timeless, and last year picked up a 164 Ride No. 4. for tooling around the groomers more with my buddies who aren't into the steep and deep... The no. 4 supposedly has the quadratic and it definitely works a bit differently on edge than my old Timeless. It's a good thing, as it really feels a bit easier fine tuning my turning radius in carves, pending on where I'm waiting the edge from forward to back, not just how I'm flexing the board (pulls knees together more, etc)...

And for comparison, of the Arbors I've ridden, they are all noodles compared to the Timeless... They are getting better, but I'm sure you'll find the Timeless won't let ya down on edge...

p. toast
12-08-2005, 05:36 PM
I wish it was the green ogre smoke graphic...It has a Star Wars ship in space graphic. I think its 04/05.

Another difference seems to be its cap construction compared to the 06 sidewall construction.

Whats going on in the Timeless lineage?

No knees: Is your Timeless of four years cap or sidewall?

Did I get the timeless Timeless or some freak experiment that didn't work out ?

P.Toast:confused:

MARK
12-08-2005, 08:01 PM
You actually got last year's 04/05 model. Good board.

p. toast
12-08-2005, 09:02 PM
So, has this board allways been cap construction and they just changed to a side wall this year or do they flip around from year to year...does it matter? The edges just look so delicate and thin I'm scared I'll break it!

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement, sounds like it's not an imposter and will work like everyone says it should.

MARK
12-09-2005, 03:34 AM
It was always cap constructed. Sidewall constructed tends to better dampen vibrations when carving, but this can be offset by other construction factors as well.

NoKnees
12-12-2005, 09:44 AM
Mine is the older cap on the timeless. for the no.4, they use an angled sidewall... What Mark says is right on in general, regarding dampening on edge with sidewall compared to cap. Solid construction will make up for this in most boards, but as a rule, you'll get a tiny bit more dampening on average with sidewall boards at a tiny, tiny cost in construction weight..

Don't let this construction detail sway your opinion on a board...

p. toast
12-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the advice.

It's a done deal now. Bought the 04/05 Timeless 164, Niedecker Carbon 900 bindings and Solomon Malamute 04/05 boots. $650.00, not bad! Hope it all works good...

Now I just need some snow to surf on...

P.Toast on the coast.