PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else occasionally twist their fleading ankel on toe side

Idiot
02-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Every now and again, I tend to twist my front ankle whenever I flex too far on toe side, say on a bumpy toe side turn or stop.
The pain and swelling always occurs towards the top where my ankle flexes.

The strange thing is that it only happens on my leading foot. The back side is fine.
Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks

NoKnees
02-23-2004, 02:03 PM
The good news is it would seem you have a good habit of keeping your weight forward if this only happens to your leading foot..

The bad news is that it happens at all..

First, what stance angle do you have on your leading foot? (degrees)
Second, what kinda of a rider are you? (Freestyle, mix, freeride only)

If I had to guess about this twisted ankle thing is that it's coming from too small of an angle on your front foot (less than 15 degrees). If you are facing the tip of your board, going down the slope, your uper body facing more down the fall line, this will put a bit of a twist in your ankle unless you have a pretty open stance. This slight twist isn't a big deal until a bump or jump causes you to suddenly bend and compress this joint. Then it get's pissed off...

Two ideas...
Open up your leading foot (15-24 degree stance)
Try to look down the fall line (slope) with just your neck/head. Less twist in the lower body will reduce the stress on your ankle, and it will be able to flex correctly when you hit those unexpected bumps..

Did any of that make sense?

Reverend SC
02-23-2004, 02:59 PM
Every now and again, I tend to twist my front ankle whenever I flex too far on toe side, say on a bumpy toe side turn or stop.
The pain and swelling always occurs towards the top where my ankle flexes.

The strange thing is that it only happens on my leading foot. The back side is fine.
Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks

I had the same kind of thing happen to me, but I was using some pretty cheap boots. After investing in a stiffer boot, it hasn't happened again. I don't know if this is what's causing yours though, I'm just relating my experience...

Idiot
02-23-2004, 05:02 PM
I'm kind of new to riding - only my third year with about 10 riding days per season. I can ride switch but sometimes I have problem landing my jumps, which I like to do more and more, jumping that is. And when I screw up with those jumps, I tend to land and automatically skid on toe side, hence, the those never ending twisted front ankle. It getting to be a pain because it happens every season.

Right now my stance is set at +21 front and +3 back. The width is 20". And YES, I tend to twist my body rather than looking down the fall line with my head turned.

Should I bring up the front angle more aggressively...what about make the stance a little wider - would that help?

Thanks again, Noknees

Idiot
02-23-2004, 05:03 PM
I went through several good boots, and it's all the same.

NoKnees
02-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Hmmm.. angles don't seem bad.. just to clarify, when you are hurting your ankles is it when switch, or regular? If switch, that makes sense based on what I said before, but if regular, I'm not so sure..

I'd just work on your body position keeping your hips, knees, and feet all lined up similarily so that they can all help absorb in a more natural way.. Stiffer boots can help, but you said you'd tried a bit so I won't mention much more on that..

You can definitely try another click or two (3 or 6 degrees) on your front foot just to see how it feels. But, since you ride switch a bit, this might effect you too much in other area...

I dunno... No easy answer... MARK may have some ideas as well... See if he chimes in...

Idiot
02-25-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm taking this week off, so I will try not maintain my uppper body in line to see if that helps

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.