PDA

View Full Version : My stupid question (XP)

jibnot
07-21-2005, 12:23 AM
How do you change windows xp default to show all files as list?
My computer keeps jumping back to showing thumbnails. I have huge photo albums and thumbnails are grinding my computer to a halt. :confused:

If you have the answer you might need to explain it as though I am a five year old. :o

Thanks

MARK
07-21-2005, 05:12 AM
Open the desired folder, click on "View" located at the top left screen, click "List", go have some milk and cookies.

Ripzalot
07-21-2005, 07:04 AM
How do you change windows xp default to show all files as list?
My computer keeps jumping back to showing thumbnails. I have huge photo albums and thumbnails are grinding my computer to a halt. :confused:

If you have the answer you might need to explain it as though I am a five year old. :o

Thanks

Set Defaults in Explorer

Intended For
Windows XP
Windows 2000
Windows Me
Windows 98

The single most commonly reported annoyance with Windows 95 when it was released, was its inability to set defaults for new explorer windows (or file folders), such as size, position, sort order, and display type (large icons, details, etc.). In Explorer, unless the window had been opened and configured recently, the files are unsorted and displayed as large icons until you manually configure the window. A similar limitation that plagued DOS was fixed 13 years after DOS 1.0 was released - a sign of things to come? Windows 98 and subsequent versions have the following, although I have yet to see it function correctly in any Windows release:

Open a folder, and configure the sort order, icon size, column widths, etc. to your liking.
Then, select Folder Options from Explorer's Tools menu (it's in the View menu in Windows 98), and choose the View tab.
Click Like Current Folder and then click Ok.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article01-434